iSABnzbd (SABnzbd on Jailbroken IOS device)

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Jypy

iSABnzbd (SABnzbd on Jailbroken IOS device)

Post by Jypy »

Hi all,

/!\ This is not an other sabnzbd client for IOS, it's the server itself that will allow you to download from newsgroups directly on your idevice /!\

some weeks ago I've started to make sabnzbd server working on a jailbroken IOS devices! I had some issues at the beginning with some modules, but after fighting them hardly I was able to have a fully working version on my idevice ;)

Then a thought about an easy way to start it. So I've made a springboard icon and a script to automatize the process.

/!\ NOT NEED SINCE VERSION 0.6.15 /!\ It's not completely perfect because of the way it's working (you need to have the ssh server started on your idevice, at least at sabnzbd startup), but it works! That's the only way i've found to make this works flawlessly!

After that, I've created an installable deb file to do all the steps automatically and upload this to a cydia repo...

So it's now available for free for everyone with a jailbroken IOS device (iPhone,iPod,iPad).

Here are some screenshots from my iPhone 4:

[Application Springboard Icon]

[Application Starting the SABnzbd Server]

[Application Startup Wizard Screen]

Install steps:
1. Add this repo to cydia on your device: http://jypy.eu
2. Search for iSABnzbd or browse the "Jypyz Products" repository and install it
3. /!\ NOT NEED SINCE VERSION 0.6.15 /!\ Ensure to have the Openssh server running (This is installed and configured automatically, if you don't have it already, during iSABnzbd installation. You can then easily enable/disable it from sbsettings. But it has to be enabled at least at SABnzbd startup, THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT BECAUSE THE SERVER CAN'T START WITHOUT)
4. Clic on the springboard iSABnzbd icon (it will just show a splash screen for some seconds and then close automatically)
5. Open a browser (safari, icab mobile...) and go to http://localhost:8080/
6. Then follow the sabnzbd wizard and enjoy ;) (Be sure to enable only local access or wizard will crash, but it will be available from other network devices anyway)

Then you can install any SABnzbd client to manage your server easily (like myNZB).

Jypy
Last edited by Jypy on March 27th, 2012, 7:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dark2tar

Re: iSABnzbd (SABnzbd on Jailbroken IOS device)

Post by Dark2tar »

Hey,

Thanks that's great nice work!

Greetz
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Hahaha, cool! Does this mean you have python, cherrepy, cheetah, etc working on your iOS device?

And why can't SABnzbd start itself, or via an icon? The SSH stuff makes it a bit difficult IMHO
Jypy

Post by Jypy »

sander wrote:Hahaha, cool! Does this mean you have python, cherrepy, cheetah, etc working on your iOS device?

And why can't SABnzbd start itself, or via an icon? The SSH stuff makes it a bit difficult IMHO

yes python, cherrepy, cheetah, par2, ssl, etc are working fine ;)

Why does ssh make it difficult ? Everything is installed and configured automatically for you. You don't have to do anything manually!

I'm only saying that the SSH server have to be running because some people disable it (ex. from SBsettings).

It can't start itself because of IOS limitation. If you directly start the application/demon itself, it stop after some second because of a verification of the IOS system (when you start an application from the springboard, the system is waiting for a signal saying that the app started fine. Until I'm unable to produce this signal, it's the only way!). But I may be wrong and please correct me if it's the case.

For now, if you don't wanna use the icon, just enter this from the terminal: python /Applications/iSABnzbd.app/SABnzbd.py
dnthomps

Post by dnthomps »

I am very surprised to see that this thread isn't blowing up. I would love to see some of this kinda dev on Android.
Sthacher

Post by Sthacher »

Ok I was running a deb that some one made for apple tv. It was running just fine I uninstalled and deleted the SABnzbd folder that I had in /var then added the repo and installed on my iPad the server isn't starting. I have ssh running tried rebooting ect. Any advice on getting this running?
Sthacher

Post by Sthacher »

Ok not sure why the app isnt working must be issues on my end. Here is what I needed to do to get it to start.

Code: Select all

root# python /Applications/iSABnzbd.app/SABnzbd.py -d
just to make sure it was running I changed the permissions

root# chmod 777 SABnzbd.py
only so i could do this

root# ./SABnzbd.py -v
Server was up and running Thanks for the update do you have any issues with unrar in this version? I havent had a chance to down load anything just yet. The 5.something I was running had a cpu type error when repairing and extracting.

ALl that was done over SSH by the way.
Jypy

Post by Jypy »

Hi Sthacher,

first of all, don't run the app as root... coz it don't need to ;)

You can log as root by SSH if you want, but then type change the user to mobile (su mobile).

then try to start this and tell me if the server is starting fine: /Applications/iSABnzbd.app/start.sh (again as mobile!!)

wait for your feedback.

And yes it works fine with rar files ;)

Thanks.
Jypy
Sthacher

Post by Sthacher »

I was getting permission errors running as mobile so I will just run it as root. Everything is working perfect I would hate to mess with a good think. It's very fast as well thanks for taking the time to get this working. I had a Jerry rigged solution before I ran across this.
Jypy

Post by Jypy »

Enjoy, you're welcome ;)
Jypy

Post by Jypy »

Updated to SABnzbd 0.6.15.
Startup script simplified.
shinratdr

Post by shinratdr »

Jypy wrote:Updated to SABnzbd 0.6.15.
Startup script simplified.
Possibly the understatement of the century. Setup is dead simple now, and that was the only problem previously. Performance is perfect, it hooks into all App Store SABNzbd+ controllers to provide a native iOS interface, and it unpacks surprisingly quickly as well.

Honestly, this is the coolest thing ever. Now I can just buy a small data bucket account for cheap and when I want to grab a video on the go, I just search "itouch" in Tanis and add it to my iPhone SAB queue. Let SAB download and unpack, then open with iFile.

I really hope to see continued development on this, but honestly it's pretty perfect as it is anyways. Really impressed, thank you so much for this. I can't believe it's not attracting more attention, it's the kind of thing I would expect to see on a Jailbreak focused blog.
swarmster

Post by swarmster »

This sounds amazing. I've never even jailbroken an iDevice before, but I've had an old iPod touch laying around for a while, and this may be what gets me going.

I've long wanted a super low power Usenet box, and this sounds like it might be it. Just plug it into a power adapter someplace out of the way, connect to wi-fi and go.

I'm wondering, though, what are the storage options? My touch is 16GB, which is nice enough, but is there any way, maybe in conjunction with some other jailbroken apps, to connect to a NAS for storage or something? Maybe even a USB hard drive using the Camera Kit? Like I said, I'm brand new to the jailbreak thing, so I'm not totally sure what's possible.

Thanks for all your work, I'm looking forward to trying it out!
Jypy

Post by Jypy »

Hi swarmster, that's a good idea!

I've just tried to quickly mount a smbshare from my iphone and it seems that the samba drivers is not installed by default (what a surprise ;))

so maybe with something like sshfs or hfs or by installing the samba driver.

I will try with the camera kit and post again after that.

Cheers.
noodles

Post by noodles »

Hi all,

This looks amazing!

I've been wanting to get an iPad to replace my personal laptop (something I never use for content creation) but the one thing that has been stopping me is my Usenet activity.

Does this mean that I could get an iPad 3, jailbreak it and use this app to download through the iPad directly onto an external harddrive?