PPA follows RC-cycle?

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

PPA follows RC-cycle?

Post by sander »

@jcfp

I see PPA follows the SAB-RC-cycles:

Code: Select all

Unpacking sabnzbdplus (0.7.19~rc4-0ubuntu1~jcfp1~trusty) over (0.7.19~rc3-0ubuntu1~jcfp1~trusty) ...
Correct? Or am I using a Release-Cycle-PPA? This is my setting:

Code: Select all

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/jcfp-ppa-trusty.list:deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jcfp/ppa/ubuntu trusty main
I like it the current way (it makes testing an automatic process), but I wonder about situations where people only want the 'official' releases. If so, a separate PPA-main and PPA-testing/-rc could fullfill both needs. FWIW: I don't know how much work that is.

Just wondering.
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: PPA follows RC-cycle?

Post by jcfp »

Indeed the ppa tends to track public releases, betas and rcs included, as a reasonable trade-off (imho) in terms of features, bugs, increased testing, and stability. After all, sab releases introducing larger code changes tend to have private pre-releases of some kind. Those with overwhelming focus on stability really shouldn't ever be auto-updating any program without requiring specific features or bug fixes.

Technically a "finals-only" is easy enough though, all it takes is a re-upload of an existing source package to an extra repository or copying packages from one ppa to another in launchpad. Just never saw the need.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: PPA follows RC-cycle?

Post by sander »

OK, thank you for your explanation.