slow speeds

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
grambo

slow speeds

Post by grambo »

yes me again, more weirdness. after the reinstall now i see slow speeds on my downloads. it is fast at first. and then it slows down after a while. ill see about 1.5MB down max. i restarted sab and i still see slow speeds. the really weird thing is if i run speedtest.net imediately afterwards it shoots up to my max speed at 9.8MB.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: slow speeds

Post by shypike »

This may be your ISP doing "traffic shaping", usually done in such a way
that it still looks right with speed tests.
Try a different program (like Grabit) and see if that makes a difference.
grambo

Post by grambo »

i installed nbzget, ran two tests using the same nzb. sab i got max of 12mbit. nzbget, 98mbit.

I suspected maybe they were traffic shaping too, but i did not see any evidence of that. I ran tests through different VPN's, and bandwidth testers, and also encrypted my traffic. So far everything points to sab. Is there a cache someplace that could make it slow? I have 512M allocated for article cache.

Any idea here Shypike? Ive been using sab for years without issues, really would hate to have to migrate to another application.

Thanks.
grambo

Post by grambo »

I think i figured it out. I had an application called NetBalancer running that would collect data on what was transferring what, and at what speeds etc. For whatever reason when that was enabled, Sab was running really slow. perhaps it was because sab is more cpu intensive than nzbget? I don't know why the issue would go away when using nzbget. Anywho

it looks better for now.
rl85733

Post by rl85733 »

I am encountering similar slow speeds I start off at 3.5MB which is about normal for my 35mbps line and after a while I'm running at 145KB. I was running 7.16 and now am on 7.18 and was experiencing the same problem. I found that SAB was only using one server, optional, without SSL, with 2 connections. Whereas I had 2 other enabled servers, w/SSL and 15 connections each, not doing anyhing. I also had 2 backup enabled servers with 15 connections each not being used.
I finally disabled the optional server and restarted and SAB started using all the enabled servers including the backups and shot back up to 3.5 MBs again.
I had tried restarting before but it just kept running slow. As I just tried this, I am not sure if it will continue running okay, but I plan to leave the optional server disabled. I dont usually monitor my operation, so I'm not sure how often this occurs, only that I've seen it happen several times.
Any reason to fallback to using an optional, non-SSL server with only 2 connections over 2 primary and 2 backup enabled servers with 15 connections each? All servers responded to the TEST SERVER button.
Anyway, thought I'd share my experiences and hope it helps..
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Not sure what's going on here.
The "optional" server flag is used for unreliable servers.
It means they will be temporarily disabled when they cause too much timeouts.
rl85733

Post by rl85733 »

I thought I'd mention it. It doesnt happen often. I reviewed many of my downloads and most seem to be in the ballpark, 3-4MB as expected via SB. It seems to happen when I try to download some of the newer movies manually, like Hercules, averaged 145KB. Most other newer movies seem to work as expected. I'm using Frugal as primary and Astraweb block as backup. The optional was freexusenet and was really not needed. I plan to leave it disabled. Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.