SABnzbd doesn't take password file

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Savvo

SABnzbd doesn't take password file

Post by Savvo »

Hi Sabnzbd team,

first of all, thanks for the great work you've done for sabnzbd, it is really a great piece of software. Keep it up!

I've got a problem with the password file used for encrypted rars. I suppose it is formatted as a simple .txt file. Now I couldn't find any manuals as to how the syntax has to be, so I used one password per line, no commas and no other shenanigans. However, sabnzbd doesn't take the password file - I have to put it in manually for every single file. I'd appreciate it a lot if someone can tell me what I do wrong or how it is supposed to look like. (or is it even as simple as a permissions issue?)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Savvo
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: SABnzbd doesn't take password file

Post by sander »

correct: plain text file

with which editor did you edit? On Windows, you should use Notepad (not Wordpad nor Word). On Linux, use nano or gedit
Savvo

Post by Savvo »

Hi,

I created the password file (as .txt) with notepad on Windows and it IS plain text, one pw per line. It doesn't work unfortunately.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Open the sabnzbd.log file (in SABnzbd: Status -> Latest Warnings -> Show Logging), and search for the word "passwords".

You should see something like:

Code: Select all

2014-07-27 21:35:11,482::INFO::[newsunpack:494] Read 4 passwords from file /home/sander/.sabnzbd/passwords-to-try.txt
If you find "Failed to read the passwords file", SABnzbd cannot open it for reading.
If you find nothing, SABnzbd does not try anything, maybe the download is not seen as password protected, or the password file is not set in SABnzbd / sabnzbd.ini

PS: after the download, clicking on the (failed) download, you should get something like:

[blabla.(2013).DvDRip.XviD-REFiNED][blabla.(2013).DvDRip.XviD-REFiNED.avi] Unpacking failed, archive requires a password
Trying unrar with password "helemaalniks"
Trying unrar with password "strangeStuff"
Trying unrar with password "O&(&(*&(*&(&(&%FUFUF"
Trying unrar with password "Ob2RDjKC"
PS2:

With a malformed password file (for example if edited with a wysiwyg editor) you will see something like this in the popup if you click on the file in the History:

Trying unrar with password "PKZûD^Æ2''mimetypeapplication/vnd.oasis.opendocument.textPKZûD'Dá"
[blabla] Error "execv() arg 2 must contain only strings" while unpacking RAR files
and you will strangely enough find this in the sabnzbd.log:

2014-07-27 21:45:44,561::INFO::[newsunpack:494] Read 36 passwords from file /home/sander/geheime-wachtwoorden.odt
I find that strange and even confusing because that file is unusable (because of its format) and SABnzbd should discover that ...
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

@Savvo ... can you follow up?
Savvo

Post by Savvo »

Hi sander, thank you so much for your effort, I wasn't at home, I will test it tomorrow.

Cheers.
Savvo

Post by Savvo »

Hey sander,

sorry for the long waiting, now I am finally back home and I searched for the things you wrote, but it is neither of those things. It doesn't even get there. Sabnzbd pauses the download as soon as it realizes the file is encrypted. (log says this: 2014-08-03 19:31:55,009::WARNING::[assembler:117] WARNING: Paused job "SOME_FILE_I_DOWNLOAD" because of encrypted RAR file) I found the corresponding option for it (I shouldn't have installed it in German. ^^)
It seems to work now, turns out, this was the problem all along.

Any last advice or tipps as to how to configure sabnzbd in general or features one should avoid?

Thanks again.

Savvo
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Good that it works.
Savvo wrote: Any last advice or tipps as to how to configure sabnzbd in general or features one should avoid?
Not really. Just one advice: KISS (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle). So leave SABnzbd as it is out of the box, and only configure something if you really need it and know the implications.