Can't remote access

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
edgedbyzero

Can't remote access

Post by edgedbyzero »

Hi guys,

I've just got a new HTPC and followed a guide to set everything up for a remote access. I'm pretty sure I'm doing *something* wrong, but to be honest I've got no other internet place to turn to. I appreciate your help.

So I first wanted to do things through TightVNC, only problem is one machine (laptop) is OS X, and the other (HTPC) is a PC. Macs don't have TightVNCs.

I did however manage to login to SABNZBD, NZBDrone and Couchpotato with the IP given by TightVNC: 10.0.0.5. If I add the port at the end, it will connect.

I'm not successful though doing this with a domain, which I've set up with one of the free providers:

1. I tried setting SABNZbd to listen to 0.0.0.0 as suggested, but it just wouldn't. The setting will be saved, but the application will always load at localhost. Finally I left it blank, but that didn't work either.

2. I've added multiple exceptions for SABNzbd on Windows Firewall, allowing both local and public incoming connections.

3. I've set up AfraidUpdater4 to update my IP because it's dynamic, as explained here. It's supposed to allow me to use a dynamic IP and "update" other apps of the new one if it changes.

4. I've forwarded port :8080 on my router, with these settings:

Server IP Address: 10.0.0.5 (If this is wrong, how do I know the right one?)
Protocol: TCP/UDP
External Port Start, External Port End, Internal Port Start, Internal Port Start: 8080 (each one)

The free DNS provider seems to be working if I go to username.domain.com, but not if I go to username.domain.com:8080. It'll also only work on my HTPC, where I set up that DNS provider, but not on my laptop.

Help?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Can't remote access

Post by sander »

As a forum admin, I can see your IP address. And, I checked, on that IP address SAB is perfectly running as I can access it from Internet.

I don't know your DNS name, so I can't check that.
edgedbyzero

Post by edgedbyzero »

sander wrote:As a forum admin, I can see your IP address. And, I checked, on that IP address SAB is perfectly running as I can access it from Internet.

I don't know your DNS name, so I can't check that.

Hmmm, is it password protected? I'm a bit worried now :/

It's working for me too now, but very very slow.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

edgedbyzero wrote:

No, no password. Probably better to set a password.

Very slow? Do you test from your own LAN? That can cause problems.
Better test: on your smartphone turn OFF wifi. Then access your SAB via the public IP address.
edgedbyzero

Post by edgedbyzero »

sander wrote:
edgedbyzero wrote:

No, no password. Probably better to set a password.

Very slow? Do you test from your own LAN? That can cause problems.
Better test: on your smartphone turn OFF wifi. Then access your SAB via the public IP address.

I remember setting a passsword for EVERYTHING. How did this happen? How can I protect it now?
And I'm testing from a completely separate network at work.

UPDATE: For some reason, my username and password were wiped off, I don't know why. I've re-set them and it's now protected.

Two things remain unclear:

-Slowness
-Am I protecting myself well enough? What measures should be taken to maximize security? (not necessarily privacy)
edgedbyzero

Post by edgedbyzero »

Ok, the last thing I seem to be missing is HTTPS/SSL. A few things I seem to have gathered:

* SSL may not be worth it if you're using 1Password..?
* SSL setup isn't so simple with SABNZBD (I may be totally wrong about this*) and definitely not simple with my other software, NZBDrone/sonarr
* SSL setup will force me to use two different domains names from my DNS service? e.g. I can't use sabnzbd.freedns.com and nzbdrone.freedns.com together, I will have to give each program its own root domain? Please correct me if I'm wrong

/* SABNZBD's page talks about downloading some python script, but other forum posts suggest that it's as simple as choosing HTTPS and forwarding the port correspondingly.

Am I on the right track?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

This is a SSL question, right? If so, "Can't remote access" is another subject. I would advice you to start a seperate thread with "... SSL ..." in the subject, so that SSL-experienced people can join.