No HTTPS access?

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
BoonDoggie

No HTTPS access?

Post by BoonDoggie »

Ugggh, ok fellas, Ive never been able to access SAB through https even though my server has SSL, and Ive got it enabled in SAB (localhost:9090). When checking the issue through Chrome, I get a "certificate is unsafe" warning and red line crossed out "https" header in my address line. Why is this? I am also connecting through my router, and using version 1.0 but this has always happened since I was using like version .50....
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: No HTTPS access?

Post by shypike »

Quite simple.
SABnzbd creates a self-signed certificate, which browsers will not trust for obvious reasons.
Firefox allows you to approve the certificate for future use.
Chrome does not.
The only real solution is that you buy an official certificate and install that.
Note that there are a few cheap and even free certificate providers (e.g. letsencrypt.org)
BoonDoggie

Post by BoonDoggie »

Thank you for your reply, I'll give letsencrypt a try.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

@BoonDoggie:

How do you access your SABnzbd server? Via a real URL (so: sabnzbd.example.org), or on your LAN (so something: 192.168.0.100)

Letsencrypt works very well for real URLs. See my description https://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19684
I don't know if Letsencrypt works with private IP addresses. EDIT: I'm quite sure certificates don't work with IP-addresses, let alone private IP-addresses.
BoonDoggie

Post by BoonDoggie »

I use a localhost address i.e. 127.0.0.1. To be honest i'm so confused with this. It seems Chrome doesn't support SABNZBD out of box, why more people aren't complaining, I don't know, but I have no interest in buying a cert. Why is this such a chore? Is there an easy way to get HTTPS access?

Sorry for so many questions.... :(
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

I use a localhost address i.e. 127.0.0.1.
If so, why do you use HTTPS, and not plain HTTP? Don't you trust your own computer?
It seems Chrome doesn't support SABNZBD out of box
Chrome does support SABNZBD out of box if you use HTTP.
Chrome doesn't support self-signed certificates, which SABnzbd out-of-box uses for HTTPS
Why is this such a chore? Is there an easy way to get HTTPS access?
It's easy on a public URL ... with letsencrypt. It's not easy with private IP addresses & current versions of Chrome.
BoonDoggie

Post by BoonDoggie »

Okay, so here what i'm confused over: Are my downloads secure by using HTTP to access SAB? I have a VPN but using it diminishes my speed by a factor of 10+. I've been on my ISP spotwatch for a while due to using torrent, and Ive read that using newsgroups with HTTPS means you're secure as can be through reasonable means., so i like to use HTTPS, but you seem to say that HTTP access is secure as well?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

You're mixing up two things:

1) Access from your webbrowser to SABnzbd. You can use HTTP or HTTPS for that.
If that is just on your PC or over your LAN, HTTP is OK as no third can access your PC or LAN.

2) SABnzbd downloading all the stuff. SABnzbd (as any other Newsgroup program) uses NNTP or NNTPS (NNTP-over-SSL) for that. If you use NNTPS no third party can see *what* you download, but an ISP can still see that your doing newsgroup downloads (and could throttle that)
If you use a VPN below all your traffic, even an ISP can't see you're doing Newsgroup downloads, just that you're doing traffic over a VPN.

BUT: If your ISP is watching you because of traffic volume (right?), no NNTPS or VPN will help you.
BoonDoggie

Post by BoonDoggie »

Ok, I understand now. Told you I was confused!
My ISP wasn't alerted by my volume, just that I was running around sans condom, and everyone saw my brand of herpes, if you pick up what I'm dropping. They even noted what titles and names of what i was snagging. Then I returned to good ol newsgroups. The speed was sooo much better, but I was told I still could be detected. That's when i went the VPN route, but the speed went back to abysmal. I was confused over the HTTP and NNTP differences.

So tio clear things up, am i downloading over NNTPS or NNTP? I dont see a setting in SAB that determines such, though I am connected to my server through SSL.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

BoonDoggie wrote: So tio clear things up, am i downloading over NNTPS or NNTP? I dont see a setting in SAB that determines such, though I am connected to my server through SSL.
Ah, yes, I didn't explain that yet. In SABnzbd -> Config -> Server, in the server's details there is a check box "SSL". Check that, AND change the Port (a few lines higher) from 119 to 563. Then click on Test Server. If it works, click on Save Changes.
BoonDoggie

Post by BoonDoggie »

Got it, thanks for all your help!