Speed Issues on 1Gbps

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
airjer

Speed Issues on 1Gbps

Post by airjer »

EDIT PROBLEM RESOLVED: If you suffer from these same issues, call your ISP and get a static IP.

I recently upgraded to 1Gbps fiber and can only reach speeds of 11.4 MB/s. I've tried everything suggested in sabnzbd's help section for high speed downloads. I even contacted my news host to see if they had any information. They were unable to help me as well. I'm tempted to say it's my provider throttling my NNTP bandwidth to 100Mbps. What I find odd is that on sabnzbd's latest skin where it has the graph for the speed my 11.4MB/s is hitting the top of the graph as if it thinks that is my max speed? I have my max speed set at the 125MB/s that I'm able to reach in speed tests (I've even put it at 1GB/s). I also have sab set to use 100% of my connection speed. I've also tried only using an SSD for my downloads. Any suggestions?

Last edited by airjer on July 21st, 2016, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Speed Issues on 1Gbps

Post by sander »

What CPU and Disk speed does your SABnzbd system have? In SAB Glitter interface: upper right corner, click on the Wrench symbol, then in Status window click on "Repeat Test"-refresh symbol.

Post the text output here. Here's mine:

System Performance (Pystone) 102113 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU …
Download folder speed 204.3 MB/s (/home/sander/Downloads/t…)
Complete folder speed 201.5 MB/s (/home/sander/Downloads/c…)
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

You should try Nzbget, Sabnzbd cannot handle those speeds because it is written in python, an accessible language, but not the fastest like C++ of nzbget.

We are working on some speed ups in the upcoming versions, but even then the max I can get with my Core i5 is 50MB/s. Nzbget will get me 80MB/s on the same system.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
airjer

Post by airjer »

System Performance (Pystone) 118657
Download folder speed 289.0 MB/s (F:\[!i.n.c.o.m.p.l.e.t.e…)
Complete folder speed 45.2 MB/s (J:\)
airjer

Post by airjer »

safihre wrote:You should try Nzbget, Sabnzbd cannot handle those speeds because it is written in python, an accessible language, but not the fastest like C++ of nzbget.

We are working on some speed ups in the upcoming versions, but even then the max I can get with my Core i5 is 50MB/s. Nzbget will get me 80MB/s on the same system.
Well even your max is 5 times my max ! :( I have an i5 as well. I tried Nzbget and topped out at the same speed... throttled?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

No, it seems you might not have connected your pc through a gigabit cable to your router? The speeds you get seem like 100Mbit?

What happens when you do an online speedtest?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
airjer

Post by airjer »

safihre wrote:No, it seems you might not have connected your pc through a gigabit cable to your router? The speeds you get seem like 100Mbit?

What happens when you do an online speedtest?
I'm able to reach my advertised speeds of 1Gbps down through speed tests done online.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Try some free usenet provider trials and see which provider does max out your connection more, using NZBGet or SABnzbd!

My high-speed testing is done on Frugal: http://frugalusenet.com/
However their retention is (puprosly) limited to 600 days so you'd have to get a block/second account somewhere else for the old stuff.
But there's a whole bunch out there you can get trial accounts with, like Usenet.Farm.
airjer

Post by airjer »

safihre wrote:Try some free usenet provider trials and see which provider does max out your connection more, using NZBGet or SABnzbd!

My high-speed testing is done on Frugal: http://frugalusenet.com/
However their retention is (puprosly) limited to 600 days so you'd have to get a block/second account somewhere else for the old stuff.
But there's a whole bunch out there you can get trial accounts with, like Usenet.Farm.
I use frugal as well. They're the ones that troubleshooted with me haha. Tried some free trials as well with Giganews and newshosting. Same speed. Just gonna have to assume that I'm being throttled. Gonna contact my ISP.
airjer

Post by airjer »

Wanted to give an update for people who may switch to fiber at some point and witness my same problem. I was having routing issues and needed to have my ISP give me a static IP. I mainly did this to get around my double NAT issue with Plex that made it impossible for me to reach it outside of my network. As a result of the static IP my 100Mbps restriction on newsgroups is gone as well (I sure hoped that was the problem and tested it as soon as I activated the static IP.)
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Interesting! Did not expect that and wonder why this changed your limitations..