File download when queue paused

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
The Other Air Force

File download when queue paused

Post by The Other Air Force »

Hi,
I've been using SABnzbd for about a year now and it's been working great. I have recently noticed in 0.7.17 that when a forced download stalls SAB moves on to the next file in the queue even though I have the queue paused.

My ISP has an unlimited download window from 2AM - 8AM and I have scheduled actions to pause/unpause the queue at the appropriate time. Sometimes I'll change the priority of a file to forced outside this free window. If for some reason this download stalls due to availability or what not SABnzbd moves onto the next file (and the next and the next) which can eat my limited bandwidth from my ISP outside the unlimited download window. Not sure if this is a bug or a known issue but I thought I'd mention it here.

Great program and great work!

Thanks
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: File download when queue paused

Post by shypike »

There is some overshoot because all outstanding article requests
are processed anyway,
The more connections you set in Config->Servers, the more the amount.
Pause 5 minutes before the deadline.
The Other Air Force

Post by The Other Air Force »

Thanks for the reply.

The issue isn't with overshooting the pause at 8AM. To be clearer, in the middle of the afternoon I might set something to forced. If 99% of that file downloads and then stalls other files in the queue start to download at top speed no matter what the files priority is set to. Once that file completes it moves onto the next file in the queue. This behavior continues until the stalled file completes, is cancelled, or has it's priority set back to something other than forced. If I had 5 files in a paused queue with one stalled file set to forced SAB will download the entire queue ignoring the pause.

Might be the same issue you're talking about.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

The Other Air Force wrote:If I had 5 files in a paused queue with one stalled file set to forced SAB will download the entire queue ignoring the pause.
Might be the same issue you're talking about.
I've never seen this happening, so an exact scenario description will be useful.
The overshoot problem is limited to just the outstanding articles.
In some cases the overshoot and what you describe may be identical,
but for when the NZBs are sizable.

The is a secondary overshoot "problem" in that a forced job will temporarily suspend
the pause and when slots are available, some articles from the next (non-forced) job are also downloaded.

The queue design is such that this cannot be prevented, at least not without substantial redesign.
JNRII

Post by JNRII »

I am having the same issue that 'The Other Air Force' described. 'overshoot' is not even in the picture.

I have setup my downloader to download whatever is in the queue between 2am and 7:55am. I did this by scheduling a 2:05 resume, and a 7:55 pause. Those work fine.

However, I have one item I want to download outside those times. Typically, I set the priority to 'force'. This has, in the past, serviced the one queued item with the priority as 'force' to download. Right now, I have 6 queued items downloading while I have only the one I want set to force. This not only puts me at risk for my bandwidth cap, but also, eats up server connections that could be servicing the one item. If I look a connections, I see all items in the list, not just the one I want.

Hopefully, this makes sence.

Thank you
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Like I said, the queue design cannot be changed in the sort term.
It was designed to maximize throughput, not for precise control of bandwidth.
Release 0.8.0 will allow you to pause/resume based on priority, using the Scheduler.
That will fix your issue.

Lowering the number of connection should reduce the issue quite a bit.
Please check that.
If it helps you can consider creating a second instance for your Usenet server in Config->Server, but with very few connections.
You can then use the Scheduler to switch server definitions on and off.
spicetooth

Post by spicetooth »

I had the same problem. Details and Solution below

PROBLEM:

- lots of files in queue
- schedule set to run from 2am to 8am only (So naturally queue is paused since it is afternoon right now)
- it's 3 in the afternoon and I hear a thud on the floor above as I notice my phone is on silent. the three headed beast upstairs is texting me " I NEED THE LATEST EPISODE OF LOSERS WHO PICK THEIR HUSBAND FROM 20 DOUCHE BAGS ON A TV SET"
- I click to change "the bachelor" to "force"
- the ep downloads and then all others in queue start to download as well despite SABNZBD being set to paused

SOLUTION:

- select all
- change priority to low
- click "apply to selected"
- select all again if not still selected
- set priority to high
- click "apply to selected"

Voila
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

spicetooth wrote:I had the same problem. Details and Solution below
It seems to me that you still need to solve one problem :)