par2 Handling does not work

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Tom168

par2 Handling does not work

Post by Tom168 »

Hi there,

please forgive me, if this topic has already been brought up somewhere in this forum. I just did not find it.

I am currently running SABNZBD 0.7.18 on my ASUSTOR NAS. I have a problem re. the par2 handling. In the FAQ it says "SABnzbd only downloads the PAR files it needs. It starts by downloading all normal files and the smallest par. If the files don't pass our QuickCheck function, we run a full par2 verification." That exactly is not true or it simply dows not work!

It happens mostly, when I download a larger post, let's say 10 Gig and larger. SABnzbd will download a few par2-files, start to repair, then abandon the repair and mark the post as failed (repair required). I usually do a retry, but that does rarely change the result.
When I examine the download, I see that there are only a few par2-files, while the post contains a lot more. So SABnzbd just does not download the par2 files needed.
And no, it is definitely not working correctly. If I use Newsbin instead, download the same post, everything will work out just fine. I can also just download only the par2 files with Newsbin and run quikpar and the post will be repaired.

Would be nice, if the par2 handling would be corrected. Even better, if there was a switch to download all par2 files by default. If I add up all the time I have wasted to repair posts manually because of this, it surely would beat a little overhead of downloading all par2 files as a rule.

Thanks for your help!
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: par2 Handling does not work

Post by shypike »

I don't share your experience of the "clever" way failing.
But people are using such weird naming conventions nowadays, that there could be bugs lurking in the way it's implemented.
The next major release will have an option to chose repair speed over wasted bandwidth, as you suggested.

Do you have sample NZB files that show this behavior?
Please email to bugs@sabnzbd,org and include the URL of this message and preferably which usenet provider you're using.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Fished your email out of the spam folder :)
It will take some time to process, due to my large to-do list.
Tom168

Post by Tom168 »

Since the next major release will contain a solution to this problem, there is no need to push this matter.

Thank you for your concern and your time!