Articles falsely labeled missing due to slow propagation

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
aptalca

Articles falsely labeled missing due to slow propagation

Post by aptalca »

Lately, I am noticing more and more releases where the nzb appears on newznab providers long before all of the articles are propagated to major usenet servers. I believe some uploaders use more obscure usenet servers that upload to others very slowly. In some cases, full propagation may take well over an hour. This appears to be the case for many episodes lately, affecting astraweb, blocknews and xsusenet (ones that I tested).

The issue is that if the article is not on the usenet server yet, sab marks is as missing. Which is the expected behavior. However, at the end the download fails because too many articles are missing. But if I simply delete the nzb, re-add it and let it re-download an hour later, all the articles are now there and it successfully completes.

My suggested solution is that either 1) sab does not mark them missing permanently if the nzb is relatively new, and retry the missing articles at the end, or a less intrusive option, 2) After the download fails due to missing articles, when the user clicks on retry, sab actually attempts to look for the missing articles one more time. I guarantee it will find them unless the nzb was malformed.

I think the second option would be a good compromise for the devs as it is not too intrusive, and although it requires manual interaction, it can easily be done by a simple button press in the web interface, or many apps that can control ab also have the ability to send a retry request.

Another solution (a band aid really) would be to delay the download by an hour or two, to make sure that all of the articles are propagated. But I don't think it is a good solution because requested take downs are more prominent these days and therefore it is quite advantageous to download the articles as soon as possible before they can get taken down.

Thanks
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Articles falsely labeled missing due to slow propagation

Post by shypike »

Option 1 is not feasible, you cannot fill holes on files later on.
The second option, delay, will be in 0.8.0
aptalca

Post by aptalca »

How about adding an option in the retry menu to retry download from scratch?

Because currently no matter how many times I hit retry on a failed download it still only tries to download pars (I assume) and keeps failing. I have to delete it and readd the same nzb and it works. But I have to manually go to my search provider's website, search for the nzb, download it and then add it to sab.

With a retry from scratch option, We would only have to go to the sab web interface and click retry and select the appropriate option

Thanks
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

That's an idea.
In the mean time, if you just remove all files (except what's in __admin__) from
the job folder in the "temporary download folder", the effect is the same as a retry from scratch.