Mac: SABnzbd triggers drives to get bad paths, breaking apps

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
animaniac

Mac: SABnzbd triggers drives to get bad paths, breaking apps

Post by animaniac »

As always, many thanks for the best newsreader out there.

I've configured SABnzbd so that all folders it uses are on a secondary volume "Data HD." (I've done this since my main drive is a small SSD and "Data HD" is a larger spinning disk.) Every time the computer restarts and SABnzbd launches at startup, SABnzbd attempts to map to the temp download folder. However, I receive the following warning: "Cannot create directory /Volumes/Data HD/Downloads/Temp." When I look at /Volumes, SABnzbd (or the OS) has created a folder there called "Data HD," As a result, the actual "Data HD" volume receives the path "/Volumes/Data HD 1." This breaks all other apps and symlinks that are looking for paths at "/Volumes/Data HD," which is a real pain.

When I try to delete the "/Volumes/Data HD" folder so the OS can re-assign the "Data HD" volume its proper path, the folder is automatically recreated. Only when I shutdown SABnzbd, is the folder not re-created when I delete it and can the OS reassign the proper volume path. (This is how I determined SABnzbd was initiating this issue for all my other apps and symlinks breaking...)

I suspect this issue arises because SABnzbd launches at startup before the OS mounts the Data HD volume. When SABnzbd tries to access "Volumes/Data HD/Downloads/Temp" it isn't there and so either SABnzbd or the OS creates the "/Volumes/Data HD" folder. Then, when the OS attempts to mount "Data HD" there is a folder that is occupying the path it would normally take, and the OS assign the volume with the "/Volumes/Data HD 1" path instead.

I believe this issue has begun with the current version and is unique to Macs. I'm running SABnzbd 0.7.20 and Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3.

Thanks for your help on this!
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mac: SABnzbd triggers drives to get bad paths, breaking

Post by shypike »

SABnzbd doesn't create folders in /Volumes.
That hasn't changed in recent versions.
Can you trace back which version started the problem?
You can simply install older 0.7.x versions over new ones.
BTW, there is a special option which will make SABnzbd wait
for the temp folder.
Set Config->Special->wait_ext_drive to 1
animaniac

Re: Mac: SABnzbd triggers drives to get bad paths, breaking

Post by animaniac »

Apologies for the delayed reply. This issue just arose, so on second thought, I don't think it's a because of any change to SABnzbd in the recent 0.7.20 update, but rather some quirk of Mac OS X; potentially an update to Yosemite. I've been using 0.7.20 since November when you released it, and this issue just came up a couple months ago on both 10.10.2 and 10.10.3. I also added a new external drive, which mounts at different times before and after Data HD (which has the Temp folder), and therefore, sometimes slows down how quickly Data HD mounts. This is the most likely scenarios, I think.

I don't think SABnzbd creating the folder in /Volumes, but rather when SABnzbd tries to access the temp folder path, Mac OS stupidly creates the folder. Not sure what could have changed the latest version (maybe it's faster?) to cause this. I'll use the special option. Thanks!