SABnzbd Server Not Responding to Port Ping Requests

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
viTRIfY13

SABnzbd Server Not Responding to Port Ping Requests

Post by viTRIfY13 »

Almost pulled my hair out trying to figure this bug out.

Scenario:
Fresh Windows 10 install
Fresh SABnzbd 0.7.20 install
Installed Sabnzbd service & helper via elevated cmd prompt (C:\Program Files (x86)\SABnzbd>SABnzbd-service.exe -f "C:\Program Files (x86)\SABnzbd" install
C:\Program Files (x86)\SABnzbd>SABnzbd-helper.exe install)

Could NOT communicate with SABnzbd via a port checker with either port 8080 / 9090.

Double checked port forwarding in router, disabled antivirus, double checked that TCP Ports for 8080 / 9090 incoming were allowed in windows firewall settings and I was still getting stone walled with a port checker (canyouseeme.org).

Checked that my Remote Desktop port was working (3389 via canyouseeme.org) and of course that works.

An hour later...

Solution:
Default sabnzbd.ini settings in C:\Program Files (x86)\SABnzbd are incorrect for "Host"
The default line in the ini file is
host = localhost
Whereas it should be
host = 0.0.0.0

Please update the ini file on initial install such that host is 0.0.0.0 instead of "localhost". SABnzbd service / exe will not communicate with outside requests (e.g. port checkers, Power NZB, etc...)

Thank you!
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: SABnzbd Server Not Responding to Port Ping Requests

Post by sander »

On initial install you get the SABnzbd wizard, which will ask:

Access
"I want SABnzbd to be viewable by any pc on my network."
"I want SABnzbd to be viewable from my pc only."

Did you miss that?
viTRIfY13

Re: SABnzbd Server Not Responding to Port Ping Requests

Post by viTRIfY13 »

Thanks Sander for clarifying that setting. I must not have fully understood the option as it was described. The way the option is presented did not seem like it would prevent the program from responding to ping requests outside of my network. After install, I didn't see a flag in the config options that indicated that SABNzbd would respond only to the localhost. Anyways, thanks for clarifying. I'm just happy that sabnzbd is linked back up to my phone via power nzb! Maybe creating a bit of an explanation in the mouseover text would help other users that didn't realize the impact that that setting would have especially if they're trying to get the program to communicate externally.