newznab - open source usenet indexer

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
babiulep

Re: newznab - open source usenet indexer and all round nzbs.

Post by babiulep »

I use the api/rss feature to connect my newznab with sabnzbd. BUT you have to use an api key generated through newznab.
My nzb-url looks like this: [http://localhost/getnzb/iwantthis.nzb&i=1&r=myapikey]
I don't use sickbeard and/or CP and I didn't need to edit my .htaccess file for this...
P.S.: iwantthis = a random string to the nzb filename
Hope this make sense :-)
Good luck!
babiulep

Post by babiulep »

@Nick123

Probably due to a 'newer' php/pear version installed
mine is PHP 5.4.8 and PEAR Version: 1.9.4

In every function in the files:
lib/binaries.php
lib/nntp.php
lib/backfill.php

the PEAR::isError() has to replaced with:

Code: Select all

$pear = new PEAR();
if($pear->isError())
in others:

$pear = new PEAR();
if($pear->isError($msgs))
etc. etc.

Hope this helps and good luck!
fireflash

Post by fireflash »

Any chance of getting this to run on a router using Tomato and optware? I'd love to get this running on my router since I have SickBeard running on my WD Live media player and would love to have NZB indexing done "in house". Ever since NZBMatrix closed shop I've been having withdrawal symptoms. :)

Otherwise I have an old laptop that might be perfect for this.....
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

fireflash wrote:Any chance of getting this to run on a router using Tomato and optware? I'd love to get this running on my router since I have SickBeard running on my WD Live media player and would love to have NZB indexing done "in house". Ever since NZBMatrix closed shop I've been having withdrawal symptoms. :)

Newznab has rather hefty storage, cpu and bandwidth requirements to do a comprehensive backfill. Headers are small, but when you realize groups may have billions of billions of headers available, they add up.
saber65481

Post by saber65481 »

assuming that all people have minimal sysadmin skills, why doesn't everyone run their own index and why would anyone pay for access to an index?
fireflash

Post by fireflash »

inpheaux wrote:
fireflash wrote:Any chance of getting this to run on a router using Tomato and optware? I'd love to get this running on my router since I have SickBeard running on my WD Live media player and would love to have NZB indexing done "in house". Ever since NZBMatrix closed shop I've been having withdrawal symptoms. :)

Newznab has rather hefty storage, cpu and bandwidth requirements to do a comprehensive backfill. Headers are small, but when you realize groups may have billions of billions of headers available, they add up.
I have a hard drive attached to my router, so storage isn't an issue. I'm more worried about memory usage.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

fireflash wrote:I have a hard drive attached to my router, so storage isn't an issue. I'm more worried about memory usage.
Again, I think you're drastically underestimating Newznab's resource requirements. To do a full backfill I've been seeing people discussing it taking a quad-core server on a gigabit connection weeks of running at max speed. Trying to run it on a router would mean new headers would likely be posted faster than it could download and parse, so you'd never catch up even with a really limited retention.

But hey, you're welcome to try! Just like you're welcome to try running SABnzbd on a router.
Nick123

Post by Nick123 »

Hi can anyone help with the error below

Thank You
fireflash

Post by fireflash »

inpheaux wrote:
fireflash wrote:I have a hard drive attached to my router, so storage isn't an issue. I'm more worried about memory usage.
Again, I think you're drastically underestimating Newznab's resource requirements. To do a full backfill I've been seeing people discussing it taking a quad-core server on a gigabit connection weeks of running at max speed. Trying to run it on a router would mean new headers would likely be posted faster than it could download and parse, so you'd never catch up even with a really limited retention.

But hey, you're welcome to try! Just like you're welcome to try running SABnzbd on a router.
I have, but it's a resource hog :) My WD Live is running nzbget. Couldn't keep SABnzbd running on either machine. nzbget works pretty well though
ghostcorps

Post by ghostcorps »

Hi all,

I too have to show my love for newznab, I came across it just in time!!

SABnzbd+ & newznab = Pure win!

Anyone using apache22 on FreeBSD may like to note that you likely only need to put the below lines in your /usr/local/etc/apache22/httpd.conf file and ignore the Virtualhost lines in the Install.txt

• <Directory /usr/local/www/apache22/data/newznab/www/>
    • Options FollowSymLinks
      AllowOverride All
      Order allow,deny
      allow from all
    </Directory>
activ

Post by activ »

After loads of fiddling I finally managed to install newznab, but now the update scripts don't seem to accomplish anything.

This is what happens:
Updating: 7 groups - Using compression? No
Processing alt.binaries.boneless
Group alt.binaries.boneless has 50,001 new parts.
First: 3938357308 Last: 3940357308 Local last: 0
New group starting with 50000 messages worth.
Getting 20,001 parts (3940307308 to 3940327308) - 30,000 in queue
[/share/Qweb/newznab/misc/update_scripts] #

Anyone have a clue why it terminates for no apparent reason? I could really use some help!

Thanks
88keyz

Post by 88keyz »

I'm running newznab+ on Ubuntu Server 12.04 and it has been running well for the last few days. Getting lots of releases, perhaps too many, and there in lies my issue. I am polling headers only for specific categories and I have been manually removing the releases from the other categories every day or so. Is there a way to modify the update scripts so that releases that get categorized in to certain categories get automatically deleted? So for example if I didn't want releases from the PC category (category 4000) to show up in my index at all, could it be automated to remove those releases on update?

edit: Found the answer for anyone that might be interested. (thanks to sy on newznab chat on #IRC for all the help)

Just add the following line to /var/www/newznab/misc/testing/deletereleases.php

$sql = "select ID from releases where categoryID in (xxxx,xxxx,xxxx)";
Replace xxxx in the syntax above with the number of the category that you wish to empty and run the script with the following command:

/usr/bin/php5 /var/www/newznab/misc/testing/deletereleases.php
To have the code run automatically with your screen script simply add the above line to your /var/www/newznab/misc/update_scripts/nix_scripts/newznab_screen.sh file.

Now you have a clean index with only the categories that you want being shown.
silvine

Post by silvine »

Can anyone help me install this?
I am stuck here at the install check list. It says I don't have Pear installed but when I type Pear in terminal I can see that it works.
I am trying to get this installed on a Synology Ds212+

Please help.
QueenB

Post by QueenB »

silvine wrote:Can anyone help me install this?
I am stuck here at the install check list. It says I don't have Pear installed but when I type Pear in terminal I can see that it works.
I am trying to get this installed on a Synology Ds212+

Please help.
Synology is a tricky one....first you need ipkg and then do the whole set of installations.....google is your friend...not with newznab and synology
fireflash

Post by fireflash »

I got it to run under Windows, but it doesn't seem to actually index anything. Is that the problem with the free version, or did I do something wrong?