[Windows] NzbDrone - Automatic TV Downloader

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
koonfused

Re: [Windows] NzbDrone - Automatic TV Downloader

Post by koonfused »

we are backup,
http://forums.nzbdrone.com/showthread.php?tid=2
zoggy wrote:launch a rip off of sickbeard.. get people interested.. server magically goes down.. and your asking for donations. so far it seems quite shady. dunno about this.. anyone actually use nzbdrone yet?
yes, server did magically go down. we worked our asses off to bring everything back up in 2 days. not sure why you would think nzbdrone is a rip off of sickbeard. yes same idea but not a single line of code is shared between the two, you make it sound like we copy pasted sickbeard and renamed it. go take a look at the source repo it has been worked on for almost two years. https://github.com/NzbDrone/NzbDrone/graphs/impact

sorry if I sound grumpy but we've had a pretty crappy week.
cruse

Post by cruse »

Wanted to congratulate you on your work and make some suggestions on your own forum but the registration there doesn't work right now, in case you didn't know. After submitting the registration data there's a simple "can't open file".

Thanks for your work!
markus101
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by markus101 »

Thanks for letting us know. It was an issue with our anti-spam plugin, I have resolved the issue and was able to register a test account.

Please advise if you run into anymore issues.
zoggy
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by zoggy »

koonfused wrote:we are backup,
http://forums.nzbdrone.com/showthread.php?tid=2
zoggy wrote:launch a rip off of sickbeard.. get people interested.. server magically goes down.. and your asking for donations. so far it seems quite shady. dunno about this.. anyone actually use nzbdrone yet?
yes, server did magically go down. we worked our asses off to bring everything back up in 2 days. not sure why you would think nzbdrone is a rip off of sickbeard. yes same idea but not a single line of code is shared between the two, you make it sound like we copy pasted sickbeard and renamed it. go take a look at the source repo it has been worked on for almost two years. https://github.com/NzbDrone/NzbDrone/graphs/impact

sorry if I sound grumpy but we've had a pretty crappy week.
no worries. just seem like odd timing of it all. glad to see you got your site up. competition is good. why did you guys go with .net of all languages?
markus101
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by markus101 »

It is the language we are most comfortable with and we personally think has one of the best IDE's + a plethora of add-ons to it. Since starting NzbDrone things have only gotten better as well. NUGET is one of the best features of Visual Studio and makes adding 3rd party dependencies very simple, to name just one feature.

We realize .Net is widely considered Windows only, but MONO is available to run on *nix, so we do have the option to eventually support other OSes, but currently the main goal is to make it feature rich and stable on its primary OS.

If you haven't given NzbDrone a try, please do, if only to try it before you knock it. If you have and found it to be lacking major functionality, we'd love to here what you think we need to add. http://forums.nzbdrone.com
cruse

Post by cruse »

I for one am a happy customer, although being one of the nagging ones. The features they added in 2 days alone speak volumes about the maturity of their product. You should really give it a try.
koonfused

Post by koonfused »

cruse wrote:I for one am a happy customer, although being one of the nagging ones. The features they added in 2 days alone speak volumes about the maturity of their product. You should really give it a try.
One of our goals when we started this project was to use best practices in software dev. we always prioritized doing things properly rather than doing them fast, that's why it took almost 2 years to get it off the ground, but it gave us a great foundation which means that we can build features on top of nzbdrone really fast without destabilizing it.
zoggy
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by zoggy »

why does nzbdrone transmit info about its users? i would think that storing peoples system id/file structure would raise some alarms of security and trust
"ver" : "0.8.0.161", "uid" : "cfbc9973-ec2e-4087-8746-07f46a76957b", "xmsg" : "The table de finition or the row size exceeds the maximum row size of 8060 bytes.", "msg" : "Failed to update episode info for series: Boardwalk Empire", "time" : ISODate("2012-04-14T17:04:44.601Z") },
"ver" : "0.8.0.161", "uid" : "ed162d33-e210-4579-8a8f-7f73f3496bdd", "xmsg" : "Year, Month, and Day parameters describe an un-representable DateTime.", "msg" : "An error has occurred while trying to parse C:\\Users\\Chris\\Documents\\Downloads\\complete\\Top Gear - Season 7 [SDTV]\\Top Gear - 07x03 - 2005.11.70.avi", "time" : ISODate("2012-04-14T17:01:50.921Z") },
koonfused

Post by koonfused »

We report error information to nzbdrone's support server so we can fix issue that are happening behind the scene. for example in this case nzbdrone is confused because that episode contains both a date and episode number, without these reports we couldn't fix those issues. we have fixed MANY parse issues before users reported anything to us because of these reports.

we don't transmit or store your system's file structure. we only transmit paths for specific files that have issue with being parsed only because file path is critical in fixing parse errors. and honestly we can't afford to store these information more than a few days since it cost us money to store these in our server.

as for the installation id, its only there so we know how widespread a specific issue is. is it limited to a single user or 200 of our users are experiencing these issue. this helps us prioritize bug fixes to things that are effecting more users.

we need this information to be able to constantly improve nzbdrone, if any of this makes your uncomfortable please feel free to uninstall nzbdrone.
btrfngrz

Post by btrfngrz »

Just wanted to say thank you so much for writing this addon guys!!! I gave up on SB long ago and decided it was less painful for me to just manually search for and add the episodes and shows that i wanted, but NzbDrone only took 5 mins to configure completely and its working perfectly, grabbing everything so quickly! No API issues from SAB, The layout and functionality IMO is leaps and bounds ahead of SB! and all the notifications are working!, with SB it took me days to get even growl to sorta co-operate and now within minutes Growl, Prowl, and Twitter notifications are all working perfectly! Great job guys! I love it! :D

I lost my job last week (Balls.) :-[ but as soon as I get some sorta income coming in i'll be donating to the futher (not that it needs it!) development of NzbDrone!!!

Thanks again!

Awesome. O0

EDT: Just a thought - Would it be possible to include an option in a future release to grab complete season packs of previous seasons? E.G. Say I was recommended a show by a friend but it was currently airing season 5, I would be then able to choose whether to download season 1, 2, 3, and 4 as individual episodes, or as complete season packs? This would be especially useful (I think) for people with large download queues, I myself am trying to recover a crashed hd which contained the majority of my TV Shows on it, so instead of having thousands of individual episodes downloading one by one, the user would have the choice of having a few season packs, and then individual episodes of the current season? Not sure if this has been suggested before but it seems like a pretty good idea to me (if possible)

anyway, just thought I'd make the suggestion :D
jcvmw

Post by jcvmw »

I want to say I've been using this for a few days myself and I'm glad I found it. It is fast and efficient. It has done things about downloading that SB was not able to do that I have installed tried and UN-installed SB many times in the past trying to get SB to download old programs.
A task NZBDrone does without a effort.
I agree this is an awesome program, one worth trying out!!!
koonfused

Post by koonfused »

Glad you guys are happy. :D
markus101
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by markus101 »

Please post any issues on our forums: http://forums.nzbdrone.com

1) We choose the first result that comes back from TheTvDb when creating the initial list of series, but you can retype the name to get the full list of results, no need to add anything to the folder name
2) Not really a fix, more of a feature request - please request it on our forums, if it gets enough interest we may implement it, haven't had anyone ask for this feature before, so I'm not sure how popular it would be.
markus101
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by markus101 »

Are you trying to use some generic email address? We use StopForumSpam to prevent spam. Try a different email address. You can search your address here: http://www.stopforumspam.com/search

1) Oops, I'll fix that up
2) Run it as a service - Run serviceinstall and then it will auto-start with Windows
3) I know what you're talking about - Before you click the add button, delete the contents on the text box and type the show name, it will return the list of results that match that show, so you can select the right one. NzbDrone can't always choose the correct one when multiple results are shown, but it tries to find the best match for the folder name, which in this case is another older series.
markus101
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by markus101 »

All pages or certain pages? Its not supposed to be that slow. Most people like how fast it is compared to other apps