Download speed

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
alex350r

Download speed

Post by alex350r »

Hi all,

Ive just got a Synology Diskstation DS108j and installed sabnzbd on it. It works great and im very impressed with the webui!

My newsgroups provider uses four servers but ive only configured two in sabnzbd - one as primary and one as backup so not to overload the diskstation.

I have noticed that the download speed will fluctuate quite alot, it could go at 800kb/s then 200kb/s then 60kb/s and then stop, it will then carry on again and seems to repeat this process all the time. I can only assume that it cannot write to the disk quick enough?

I realise there is not alot of processing power or ram (only 32mb) in the diskstation however is there any way to reduce the amount of fluctuation on the download speed? I have tried limiting the speed to 500kb/s and this seems to have helped slightly.

The diskstation is connected via Gigabit LAN to a Edimax Wireless N Gigabit Router and then connected to a Virgin Media cable broadband line (10mb)

I have not tried unpacking the download yet as I assume this might be too much for the diskstation to handle?

Cheers  :),

Alex
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Download speed

Post by sander »

What speeds do you get when you install & run SABnzbd on your Linux/Mac/Windows machine? If those speeds vary too, it's not caused on/by the Synology, but by your broadband provider or by your news provider ...
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
If someone helps you, please reply to that help.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

32M memory is awfully little memory.
Especially since SAbznbd isn't very conservative with memory.
It starts with about 17M (on Windows at least) with an empty queue.
Because it cannot keep many articles in memory, there will be a lot of disk activity.
Maybe it will start swapping too.
alex350r

Post by alex350r »

Thanks for your replies.

@sander, I know that with newsleecher I can get over 1000kb/s (10mb) on my windows machine so I don't think it is provider related.

@shypike, I know it is not alot of memory but the diskstation offers alot of features and was a reasonable price, I couldnt not justify the other models. I probably wont unpack the downloads with sabnzbd as this will be too much for it too handle but do you have any tips on how I could improve the speed? The built in download station also has an nzb downloader, this seems to stick around 500k mark but only supports one newsgroups server.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

We're doing some work to reduce memory usage in 0.5.0,
but probably not enough to for your needs.
For now: avoid very large NZB files, avoid having many jobs in the queue,
do not use a memory cache, do not use the double web-ui option.

If you use Python 2.5, you could go back to 2.4.
alex350r

Post by alex350r »

Ok cool, we if it reduces the memory even more then thats better.

Ive just tried it with a 4gb nzb only in the queue and it seems ok, not dropping the connection too much now.

When you say double-webui, do you mean the secondary web-ui option?

Im not sure which version of Python I am using, I got sabnzbd from Merty's page, see below:

http://merty.xs4all.nl/syno/

Any ideas of what version of Python that is? I wouldnt have a clue on how to downgrade though.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

alex350r wrote: When you say double-webui, do you mean the secondary web-ui option?
Any ideas of what version of Python that is? I wouldnt have a clue on how to downgrade though.
1: Yes
2: Just type "python" on the command line, it will tell you which version it is.

For 2. I'm not sure if it's actually worthwhile.
merty

Post by merty »

The package I wrote for Synology Diskstations uses python version 2.5. It is compiled using the sources of the 'optware' chain for NSLU2 and modified makefiles.  It isn't that easy to downgrade it, though, because of compiling dependencies and all. I'll see if I can compile the old version and compare memory/speed improvement with 2.5 version.

Regards,

Merty
brantdk

Post by brantdk »

Hi,
Iv just install this great program on my 108j also. I'm seeing the same problems . Some times my speed is max out while 2 seconds later it´s at rock bottom. Any help with this would be great.
Im running a Synology 108j with the newest firmware.
Juice

Post by Juice »

merty wrote: The package I wrote for Synology Diskstations uses python version 2.5. It is compiled using the sources of the 'optware' chain for NSLU2 and modified makefiles.  It isn't that easy to downgrade it, though, because of compiling dependencies and all. I'll see if I can compile the old version and compare memory/speed improvement with 2.5 version.

Regards,

Merty
On that note..

I've just changed from Python 2.5.2 (package) to Python 2.4.6 (source build) on my CH3SNAS. Memory usage seemed somewhat higher, and download speed increased by a good 100 kB/s (from +/- 1050 to 1150-1200 kB/s, still below maximum bandwidth).
brantdk

Post by brantdk »

by the way Iv notice that the GUI is slow when I run it off the 108j. Has this also something to do with python 2.5?
I remote into my 108j from the net. When I navigate around, it take a long time to upload the gui. By time I click then it can go up to a couple of minutes before the site opens. Isn't just a HTML web gui?