Modify speed limit based on file age?

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
sbnzbd

Modify speed limit based on file age?

Post by sbnzbd »

Hi,

Is there a method to modify the speed limit based on the file age currently being downloaded?

For example, if a file is newer than a day then i would like to set the speed limit to 50% of my line speed. And set the speed limit to 5% of my line speed for all other files.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Modify speed limit based on file age?

Post by safihre »

No, but why would you want this?
It could always be done using pre-queue scripts, but I am trying to understand why this would be beneficial?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sbnzbd

Post by sbnzbd »

My internet connection is poor (30 Mbps) and i can easily saturate my internet connection if i don't limit sabnzbd. I'm not in a rush to download files and so i've set the limit to something really low so i don't degrade internet usage for normal web browsing, etc. I'm under the impression that files that have been available for hundreds/thousands of days aren't as likely to be removed as newly released files, and so i would like to grab newly released files a little quicker to try to grab them before they get removed. I am reasonably new to usenet and so i couldn't be completely off on the likelihood of a file getting removed and how quickly.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

30 Mbps, so 3 - 3.5 MB/s? Correct?

If so, that's little indeed.

What speed is acceptable for not saturating that connection?
sbnzbd

Post by sbnzbd »

Correct. Here's the results of a speed test i've just done now with nothing downloading - Image

I'm restricted to an ancient infrastructure and there aren't enough people who live in my area to warrant an ISP to invest in something new. The ROI is probably horrific.

What's an acceptable speed... to me, it's where the internet isn't crawling for regular internet use for all other devices. 30 Mbps already isn't enough for a couple of modern streaming qualities. So i've tried to limit it to something where it's not noticeable that something could be downloading. So, 2 Mbps throughout the day and unlimited when everyone is asleep.

I've set up an automation stack and so a new file could be ready to download at any time. I don't mind if the internet goes to a crawling speed once in a while for a new file. The 2 Mbps is when someone wants to monitor some new content and wants to grab all existing content as well; otherwise it could take down the internet down for hours. I believe i can only download 1.35 GB/hour running at the full 30 Mbps beans.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

AFAIK sabnzbd can schedule speed based on time of day.

See Scheduler inside sab