Are there any news yet on how to fix this annoying bug? The frustration is growing and this thread is the only one I've been able to find on the subject. Is it Python or something else causing the problem?
I'm running the following config:
Hardware: DS211+ with DSM version
DSM version: 3.2-1955
Disks: 2x1.5 TB disks in a RAID 1.
Python version: 2.6.6-5
SABnzbd version: 0.6.14-1
(The packages has been downloaded from the SuperZebulon Repository at http://synopkg.superzebulon.org/spkrepo/packages
############# UPDATED ###############
Only five minutes after posting my question I actually came up with a solution for my own and hopefully others problem as well.
Background: I'm from Sweden and was stupid enough to set swedish as default language for my DS211+. Generally, this is never a good choice since there is always an idiot involved in the language translation process. In this case, the disk volume name created, "volume1", was translated to "Volym 1" when I checked the volume name in the Storage Manager. Fooled me!
So, in DSM/File Manager I first created a new folder called nzb with two subfolders, incomplete and complete, using the File Browser. In the SABnzbd web config interface I then set the Temporary Download Folder to Volym 1/nzb/incomplete and the Completed Download Folder to Volym 1/nzb/complete. Once saving the settings and downloading a movie I noticed the incorrect disk space. I downloaded Putty for checking all folders on the NAS via SSH, and found the correct volume name to be "volume1". Nothing else.
Changing the locations to /volume1/nzb/incomplete and /volume1/nzb/complete solved my problem.
I hope this will help at least some of you.
/Totally retard as far as Linux goes