I got bored this evening and started on an xbmc plugin, but I have run into a few problems, and not sure if I will continue development.
My preference for implementing this was to browse sites using their RSS feeds instead of scraping the data from sites which is against some sites AUP (newzbin's) and also prone to break all the time for minor page changes, basically a real pain in the ass. RSS feeds are the closest most sites will get to an api that can be accessed by third parties.
What I have done so far:
- I added simple browsing of fixed RSS feeds that contain nzb files. These can list the latest stuff from free sites (eg: nzbtv, binsearch) and newzbin.
- Selecting the download will bring up an option to download or stream the file (streaming isn't in place yet, and might not be for some time, if at all). Downloading will just add it to your sabnzbd queue.
- And added the simple viewing of files in sabnzbd's queue with the %age done.
- The authentication string Newzbin use differs for each page making searching impossible, as changing the query changes the auth string.
- The fixed RSS feeds will only have the latest 20-50 items, with no way of browsing for more.
- There are only a few other sites that have RSS feeds, and they need for users to log in to view/download. Adding these is a major pain in the arse as it needs fiddling about with cookies for each site.
So basically with no searching, limited sites, and a limited amount of content is this worth it?