newznab - open source usenet indexer

Got a program that plays well with SABnzbd? Share it here!
opentoe

Re: newznab - open source usenet indexer and all round nzbs.

Post by opentoe »

opentoe wrote:I have memory set at 256MB already and it is still giving me an error. I refuse to enter more, no script should ever use that much at all. What is the solution, anyone??

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 77 bytes)

I'm still getting this error. I'm not sure at all why this fatal error keeps coming up. I'm basically doing this just for a hobby, but I thought there would be more people involved and a much more busier place. I have one php.ini file in my root.
opentoe

Post by opentoe »

I've played around with it for a little while and after I lowered the number of days to check, number of headers to get, all that I did get it to complete some processes. I am a little confused as to how the program is automated? Does the program check by itself? I don't see any of those type of settings anywhere. Do I have to manually run some PHP file for everything to work? What is backfull.php and all the other scripts in that folder do? Little confused here, but I have to at least ask.
lhbandit

Post by lhbandit »

Hate to say it but a lot of your questions are answered in the README.txt and INSTALL.txt files. I'd recommend you read those docs, then join us in #newznab on synirc if you have any outstanding questions.
meatball117

Post by meatball117 »

opentoe wrote:
opentoe wrote:I have memory set at 256MB already and it is still giving me an error. I refuse to enter more, no script should ever use that much at all. What is the solution, anyone??

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 77 bytes)

I'm still getting this error. I'm not sure at all why this fatal error keeps coming up. I'm basically doing this just for a hobby, but I thought there would be more people involved and a much more busier place. I have one php.ini file in my root.
I'm not sure how you've got your php5 installed but 99% of your configuration files for all linux/unix programs everywhere all the time are in /etc/... so if you're using linux unless you're symlinking for whatever reason you're probably editing the wrong ini file.

You've got 2 places to set that memory limit in PHP, /etc/php5/cli/php.ini and /etc/php5/apache2(or whatever you're using for a webserver)/php.ini. Make sure you're setting it as 256M (setting MB as it says in the comment will not work).

You should be able to pull 20,000 headers at a time with 256MB ram allocated. I've got 5 times that much ram allocated to my PHP5 so I can pull down 100k headers at a time (after some experimentation). I think the one that you're bumping up against in memory requirements is /etc/php5/cli/php.conf as it looks like it's only got 64MB of allocated RAM from that output. Are you sure you want to run your own usenet indexer if you're having problems setting up something like memory bounds for PHP to run? Things only get harder from here..

Next question is answered by going to http://(address of your server)/admin and looking at the second paragraph of your admin hangout, it literally tells you what to run next... I'm trying out the automation that they've set aside in the screen script (/var/www/newznab/misc/update_scripts/nix_scripts/) ....

But you should really be logging into IRC to talk with people about this, I don't think there's a lot of action here in regards to newznab.
pr3M5n3T

Post by pr3M5n3T »

I'm having problems to get newznab working. The installation went smoothly, but now I get errors like this

Code: Select all

The requested URL /newznab/www/login was not found on this server.
when I try to do anything like login or browse.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and I extracted all files to /var/www/newznab followed by a chown -R www-data.www-data /var/www/newznab

I'm accessing newznab through http://localhost/newznab/www

I can see the php files in /var/www/newznab/www/pages, but newznab doesn't seem to look in that directory for these files. For testing I copied some of them one level higher to /var/www/newznab/www

Does anyone have an idea what went wrong here?

Thanks
pr3M5n3T
ko0ky

Post by ko0ky »

I'm trying to put together a tutorial for newbie users like myself who might need some help setting up newznab on windows. I somewhat got this going (time will tell how good it's working).

A big Thanks to medoix on the IRC channel for his help!

I expect this tutorial to be a work in progress. If I missed a step or did something wrong, don't flame me, I'm just offering a bit of help for the next guy.

The instructions included with the download seemed a bit lacking for window users, especially for those of us who don't do much with php, apache, curl and other apps needed for this to work. Also I couldn't find much on this forum.

Here's the steps I did to get it working. (notice: I wasn't concerned with SSL at this time, so I didn't worry about setting it up. If this is something you are concerned about you may need some better instructions)

First I installed an apache/curl/pear/php/blah blah pack.. - http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html (Dont be mislead, the download link is near the bottom where you choose if you want to download a zip/install file or 7zip) I decided on the install file ::) I installed to the default location c:\xampp

Next I installed TortoiseSVN which was recommended to grab newznab. http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html after installing it I ran it and used the login information provided when I purchased NNPLUS (some of you not using NNPLUS may need to skip this part.. I have no idea how you download the non plus version), I nagivated to c:\xampp\htdocs and right mouse clicked where I found a new menu option (after installing tortoisesvn) and selected SVN checkout. It created a folder c:\xampp\htdocs\nnplus (YES I might have downloaded this to the wrong directory.. or perhaps could have changed it a bit.. but it didn't matter much to me. My url is http://127.0.0.1/nnplus/www which is fine with me)

Next navigate to c:\xampp\php and open php.ini - search for "memory limit".. set at 256, next search for "minimum execution time" and set to 60. (keep php.ini open for next step)

Next I reviewed this page http://www.tonyspencer.com/2003/10/22/c ... n-windows/ for setting up curl on windows box. I had to make a few adjustments. TAKE NOTE his install is d:\apps , using this setup our install dir is c:\xampp.. You can skip "- set extensions_dir to d:\apps\php\extensions" it's all set correctly. Next in php.ini search for "register_globals =" and set to On, next search php.ini for "session.save_path =" make sure you see session.save_path = "C:\xampp\tmp"

Copy php5ts.dll (located in c:\xampp\php\) to your c:\xampp\Apache\bin folder
Copy libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll (located in c:\xampp\php\) to c:\windows\system32

download curl.exe from http://curl.haxx.se/download.html - I used win32 generic - I put curl.exe in c:\xampp

[Windows XP Install Only] Check to see if you have the following file: c:\windows\system32\msvcr70.dll. If not, search for it in Google and download it to system32. You may get error messages without it. ( I didn't have a problem with this.. I am using windows 2008 )

Uncomment the curl line in your php.ini file to enable curl: extension=php_curl.dll

I skipped the rest of steps on that curl page, PHP was working fine so I didn't need to mess with that.

in php.ini search for "E_ALL | E_STRICT" and change to E_ALL ^ E_STRICT

save php.ini - restart apache (you can use xampp control panel (located in your taskbar near the clock) to stop and start the service.

You will need to add c:\xampp\php to your system variable path (right click my computer - properties - advanced system settings - advanced - Environment Variables... in the system variables find PATH, double click and at the very end add c:\xampp\php

Now continue with the steps provided from the INSTALL.TXT file from newznab:

3) Browse to http://yournewznabserver/install. (the example above.. or mine was http://172.0.0.1/nnplus/www/install
refer to the list of requirements above if you encounter any errors during install, or the FAQ in the README
4) Once installed activate only one or two groups to test with first (a.b.linux.iso is a good choice), this
will save you time if it is not working correctly.
5) Run the update_binaries.php and update_releases.php scripts in \misc\update_scripts\ via command-line.
6) If updating was successful then you can continue to setup your site and configure the update scripts for
auto-updating. windows users use the script /misc/update_scripts/win_scripts/runme.bat

THIS SHOULD GET YOU UP and running unless I over looked something.. Please comment if this has helped you or if I left something out. I will try my best to help in any way I can.

Hope this helps someone!
newznab

Post by newznab »

pretty much always 404 errors are because you haven't followed the AllowOverride example in the README and INSTALL, and you rewriting is not occurring.
pr3M5n3T

Post by pr3M5n3T »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Of course I read the README and INSTALL, otherwise I wouldn't have come that far. I thought that part only applied I installed newznab outside the docroot. Maybe it should be made more clear, that this is required for it to work at all.

Now I added the <Directory> ... </Directory> part to /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default and it seems to work (at least I can login now).

Thanks again
phoenixxl

Post by phoenixxl »

Hello,

I was looking at the newznab code in a movie retrieval program earlier this week ,

I was wondering , since newznab keeps media info in it's database , if it would be an easy step to give subtitle and audio langauges as an attribute by default if that info is available when doing an api search.

something like :
<newznab:attr name="aulang01" value="english"/>
<newznab:attr name="aulang01" value="french"/>
<newznab:attr name="aulang02" value="spanish"/>

<newznab:attr name="sublang01" value="icelandic:deaf"/>
<newznab:attr name="sublang02" value="icelandic:regular"/>
<newznab:attr name="sublang03" value="icelandic:foreignparts"/>

That way that info can be concatenated to the main field to be searched in for keywords making finding exactly what's looked for easier.

These days there's a trend of making releases "MULTI" where language is concerned... not indicating which language tracks are actually present. Giving track info where available while doing an API search would fix this .

Thank you in advance for considering this.

Phoenixxl.
otaku888

Post by otaku888 »

Few tips for Ubuntu: I'm running XBMCbuntu Eden

I found this guide invaluable:

http://newznab.readthedocs.org/en/lates ... ntu-11.10/

I went with Percona as the database and NginX as the server, but I've heard MariaDB is also good.

The IRC channel is also a must if you need to donate - really worth it for the extras and for the time they put in helping users.

Things I ran into that might happen to others:

Make sure you have all the build tools installed to configure and compile Sphinx properly, it's moved to version 2.0.4-release now so you need to find the new download location and change the references given in the documentation.

If you are using PHP-FPM with NginX make a file in /etc/nginx/conf.d called php5-fpm.conf with this in it:

upstream php5-fpm-sock {
server unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock;
}

And of course edit your /etc/nginx/sites-available/newznab file under the 'location ~ \.php' line.

replace:

fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;

with:

fastcgi_pass php5-fpm-sock;

Finally make sure /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/www.conf file has a listen value of:

listen = /var/run/php5-fpm.sock

restart php5-fpm
restart Nginx.
Last edited by otaku888 on April 12th, 2012, 10:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
feerlessleadr

Post by feerlessleadr »

Hi everyone, so i followed ko0ky's guide above for installing nn+ on Windows 7 x64, but I am getting an error when I try to install nn+.

When I go to http://localhost/nnplus/www/install I get the standard install screen with the button that says to go to step 1, pre flight check. When I click on this button, I get the same screen, but with the following error message:
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\xampp\htdocs\nnplus\www\install\index.php on line 50
i've looked at the relevant portion of that file, and I thought the problem was the config.php file. So I went to the install folder, made a copy of the config template, and changed the name of the copy to 'congfig.php' but didn't change anything else insite the file. I tried to re-run the install again, but I got the same error.

I restarted my machine a few times (for some other reasons), but that didn't help. I'm sure that I am missing something that is quite trivial (hopefully), but I am not very well versed in php, so I am a bit in over my head.
sytanek
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sytanek »

Quick note regarding the windows tutorial, all of your curl stuff is unnecessary. The current version of xampp does not require any of that, curl is included. All you need to do is edit the php.ini and remove the ; from the beginning of the curl extension line. No reason to make it anymore complicated than it needs to be.
feerlessleadr

Post by feerlessleadr »

sytanek wrote:Quick note regarding the windows tutorial, all of your curl stuff is unnecessary. The current version of xampp does not require any of that, curl is included. All you need to do is edit the php.ini and remove the ; from the beginning of the curl extension line. No reason to make it anymore complicated than it needs to be.
I'm just going to assume that you are the same sy that helped me on irc, once again, thanks for fixing my problem
codeslave

Post by codeslave »

This is a great web app. Just wanted to pop in and show some love. I donated twice and recommend all do so
SpankIt

Post by SpankIt »

Has anyone tried it on Solaris, OpenSolaris or OpenIndiana? I'd be interested to find out how well it works.