CRC error 1 article

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Gokuhanten

CRC error 1 article

Post by Gokuhanten »

Hi Guys,

I'm extremely new to Sabnzbd and Usenet in general and I'm having a problem with a download that I was hoping to get some help with. The total download was about 125 gigabytes and when I came home from work today I noticed that it had finished downloading, however there was the error "Unpacking failed, CRC error".

After reading some threads on this topic that are already on the forum I toggled the "Post process only verified jobs" switch, but to no avail. I've downloaded QuickPar however there are no Par files for the download so I wasn't able to use it. Also, I haven't changed either my operating system or moved the files to new hardware. I read that Astraweb was responsible for a lot of uploads with CRC errors but I won't be able to switch until the end of the month. Is there any way to save this download? It looks like a lot of pieces are missing. I'm not even sure what steps I can take from here. More info on the download is provided below. I'd greatly apprciate any help you guys/girls could provide. Thanks in advance!

Name Unpacking failed, CRC error
Size 125.3 GB
Status Failed
Category *
Path C:\Users\Me\Documents\Downloads\complete\
Download Downloaded in 1 day 6 hours 50 minutes 44 seconds at an average of 1.2 MB/s
1 articles were malformed
35216 articles were missing
5 articles had non-matching duplicates
Source C:\Users\SPH\Downloads\
Unpack
Repair No par2 sets
Last edited by Gokuhanten on January 3rd, 2013, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: CRC error 1 article

Post by shypike »

Gokuhanten wrote: 1 articles were malformed
35216 articles were missing
5 articles had non-matching duplicates
Repair [Stargate] No par2 sets
The post simply isn't on the server, except for a tiny bit that resembles a RAR file.
Probably removed after a copyright complaint.
Gokuhanten

Post by Gokuhanten »

Sorry, but could you please be more specific? I'm new to this so I don't have the proper grasp of the terminology yet. By post do you mean the entire download? When I search for the download on binsearch.info, the number of parts is listed as: 557418. If parts are the same thing as articles, wouldn't that mean that I'm only missing approximately six and a half percent? The whole folder occupies around 120GB of space which seems to be roughly in line with this. Is there no avenue for data repair, or perhaps to use another NZB to download the missing data in a similar fashion to adding trackers for a torrent? I understand that Usenet isn't a peer to peer system, but could the uploader's files, or compatible files be located in multiple locations? Thanks again for your help!
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

A few tips:

- first do some successful downloads, see http://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12666
- 125GB downloads are a big risk.
- read http://www.binaries4all.com/beginners/
Gokuhanten

Post by Gokuhanten »

Hi Sander, thanks for your post. I've already downloaded a couple of 9-10Gb files without issue so I know the set up itself works. Also, I read the tutorial in the link and it appears to contain the same information as the other tutorials I've read. Nothing there seems pertinent to my problem.
Gokuhanten

Post by Gokuhanten »

Also, could I please get some clarification on the reasons not to download large file sets? That was my primary reason for using Usenet as I'm able to torrent 90% of other files without issue. Is it a retention issue? Or is it that a small file corruption or operational error on the part of the uploader could inhibit unpacking?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Gokuhanten wrote:Also, could I please get some clarification on the reasons not to download large file sets?
Because 1) it's a big (pun intended) risk and 2) I don't know any content format that needs 125GB so my guess it's a collection of episode, and thus you're safer with a separate download per episode
Gokuhanten wrote: That was my primary reason for using Usenet as I'm able to torrent 90% of other files without issue. Is it a retention issue? Or is it that a small file corruption or operational error on the part of the uploader could inhibit unpacking?
Usenet is more and more under attack on the basis of a US law named "DMCA".

Tip to avoid useless downloads: In Config -> Switches turn on "Check before download".
pobox

Post by pobox »

The 'sanity' forum rule is that you don't show what you're downloading. There are so many topics where I have nothing to say because the rule was properly followed, and so the discussion is only theoretical and not specific, but for this topic I can actually go look at real world files. The post that you tried to download has not been removed from the servers I use. I think you used Astraweb because it's missing roughly 6% of the articles. PAR2 files were posted but not enough to repair 6% damage. Unfortunately, SABnzbd assembled what it could get from Astraweb, which eliminates the opportunity to add a backup server and retrieve the missing articles from it. Pre-check with STAT is inaccurate on Astraweb.
Gokuhanten

Post by Gokuhanten »

Okay, thank you for your response. I suppose I misread the Sanity rule when I joined. I suppose I am glad that I posted the name of the download originally however if it was the only way that I could get specific help. In any case, my original post has been edited to remove any specific mention of the files. If this is to reduce DMCA takedown requests by content creators/owners crawling the forums, I can see the need for it. If I were to join Giganews or similar, do you think it would be possible then to salvage the download? I'll have a look to see what the Par 2 files can repair if I can find them. Thanks again for your help.
Gokuhanten

Post by Gokuhanten »

sander wrote:
Gokuhanten wrote: Because 1) it's a big (pun intended) risk and 2) I don't know any content format that needs 125GB so my guess it's a collection of episode, and thus you're safer with a separate download per episode
Gokuhanten wrote: That was my primary reason for using Usenet as I'm able to torrent 90% of other files without issue. Is it a retention issue? Or is it that a small file corruption or operational error on the part of the uploader could inhibit unpacking?
Usenet is more and more under attack on the basis of a US law named "DMCA".

Tip to avoid useless downloads: In Config -> Switches turn on "Check before download".
Thanks! I'll turn that on.