Newzbin replacement?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
dweller

Newzbin replacement?

Post by dweller »

So it looks like Newzbin lost their case. End of the road I guess.

Anyone know of replacements of the same quality?
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Newzbin replacement?

Post by inpheaux »

weldon
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by weldon »

This is pretty depressing, although It's still unclear how much newzbin will have to change to comply with the results of the case. It just integrated with sab so well  :'(
WP7 Sabnzbd/NZBMatrix/Newzbin App: Sab Watch http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=5556.0
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

weldon wrote: This is pretty depressing, although It's still unclear how much newzbin will have to change to comply with the results of the case. It just integrated with sab so well  :'(
With nzbdstatus every indexer works just as well with SABnzbd as Newzbin.
bnevets27
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by bnevets27 »

inpheaux wrote: With nzbdstatus every indexer works just as well with SABnzbd as Newzbin.
I'm going to have to completely disagree.  Newzbin only features:

When a nzb is grabbed the category is passed to sabnzbd
TV shows are automatically renamed
There is a link in the download history directly to the post (very helpful for many things)
Bookmarks...... Auto importing or them.

And one plus of newzbin is manually indexed nzb's.

I'm sure some of these things can be added in from other nzb indexing sites. Nzbmatrix now has bookmarks. And I'm sure the others could be added in. I think the main reason newzbin is so popular with many programs, including this one, is the API newzbin provided.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

bnevets27 wrote: When a nzb is grabbed the category is passed to sabnzbd
There is a link in the download history directly to the post (very helpful for many things)
Categories are being worked on in nzbdstatus, duz has an experimental UI for being able to pull categories from sites like NZBMatrix and nzbs.org. Once that's in you'll get sorting & renaming. History URL isn't that big of a deal. Bookmarks can be reimplemented like nzbs.org's nzb cart & rss feed, which is actually nicer than Newzbin bookmarks because it doesn't require us to write any code and to the end user it works exactly the same.
dweller

Post by dweller »

bnevets27 wrote:
inpheaux wrote: With nzbdstatus every indexer works just as well with SABnzbd as Newzbin.
I'm going to have to completely disagree.  Newzbin only features:

When a nzb is grabbed the category is passed to sabnzbd
Yep that was my point exactly. Personally the categorization and auto renaming are the two things I care most about and both are newzbin only atm.

But good news that it's being worked on already. :)
bnevets27
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by bnevets27 »

Thanks, inpheaux for the heads up. Looking forward to those features.  :)
weldon
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by weldon »

Exciting to hear about all those features. I guess the main reason I liked Newzbin over Nzbmatrix was how much more professional it looked compared to Nzbmatrix. I set up a htpc back home for my parents and I know how confused they would be seeing Release Group names.

The editors (which is partially why they got sued) did a great job making the site seem professional.

And to ramble further, I do think the history of where the nzb was from is important, as it makes it easy to find pars, or read comments about a failed release/a release that might have a password rather then being SOL
WP7 Sabnzbd/NZBMatrix/Newzbin App: Sab Watch http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=5556.0
Yarbles

Post by Yarbles »

I'm looking for alternatives to use with SabRage, but like Weldon said, none look to be quite on par with Newzbin, particularly because NB used TVRage-like titles instead of usenet post titles.

I'm also looking at switching to a MyTVNZB feed instead. Is that a reliable setup?
weldon
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by weldon »

Yarbles wrote: I'm looking for alternatives to use with SabRage, but like Weldon said, none look to be quite on par with Newzbin, particularly because NB used TVRage-like titles instead of usenet post titles.

I'm also looking at switching to a MyTVNZB feed instead. Is that a reliable setup?
Im using mytvnzb, and it works pretty well. Sab seems to sort everything ok, and with checking every 15, eps still get downloaded before they air
c0ld

Post by c0ld »

I found mytvnzb to be quite slow when I used them a year or so ago. I was using nzbs.org before newzbin. It was quick (very quick in fact) but you need a lot of reject filters. I've switched to matrix now for my rss, but it's amateurish compared to newzbin. Limited categories, useless search engine, no headers, horrible website... it's going to take some time to get used to.
dweller

Post by dweller »

weldon wrote:
Yarbles wrote: I'm looking for alternatives to use with SabRage, but like Weldon said, none look to be quite on par with Newzbin, particularly because NB used TVRage-like titles instead of usenet post titles.

Im using mytvnzb, and it works pretty well. Sab seems to sort everything ok, and with checking every 15, eps still get downloaded before they air
Do you get categories and renaming of the downloads like the Newzbin-Sab integration allowed?

e.g. something like: \TV\Show Name\Season Num\Episode Title.avi ?

BTW newzbin is effectively dead now - they've had to stop allowing all TV and Movie reports already...
Last edited by dweller on March 31st, 2010, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
weldon
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by weldon »

yeah, you enable the regular sab sorting and then just make the rss feed just 'tv' episiodes. It's covered in a tutorial I wrote a little while ago for sabnzbd and xbmc if you're interested

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/129101/TUTORIAL.pdf
dweller

Post by dweller »

weldon wrote: yeah, you enable the regular sab sorting and then just make the rss feed just 'tv' episiodes. It's covered in a tutorial I wrote a little while ago for sabnzbd and xbmc if you're interested

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/129101/TUTORIAL.pdf
That's awesome - thanks a ton for this!!