Missing parts ("» Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (xxx short)"

Report & discuss bugs found in SABnzbd

Missing parts ("» Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (xxx short)"

Postby Wreckus » April 1st, 2010, 9:20 pm

I downloaded 10 items and 9 of them failed "» Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (xxx short) " +/- a few hundred blocks. I took one of the items and copied the _FAILED_ folder elsewhere and ran the download again. Then manually ran Quickpar against both folders and Quickpar shows that each download is missing blocks in multiple places.  But each individual _FAILED_ folder's rar files were corrupted in different ways (i.e. .r001 in folder 1 would be missing 5 blocks and .r001 in folder 2 would be missing 3 blocks).

I loaded the same download list in Grabit and it download successfully 10/10 with 0 repairs required.  Both Grabit and SABnzbd both use the same drive for caching, extracting and saving.

It definitely seems to be the SABnzbd application (v0.5.0), I've wasted about 150GB of bandwidth today playing with different settings and haven't found anything that fixes it.  So, today I uninstalled completely and re-installed with the Windows installer, used the default settings (minus save location) and downloaded a 15GB file, both times it was corrupted, both times QuickPAR showed that different files had differing numbers of missing parts.  Grabit downloaded successfully with no repair required.

The issue started occurring roughly around the time I upgraded my Internet connection from 8Mb to 50Mb.  I don't believe that is the cause (Grabit works), but I figured I'd note it.


Version: v0.5.0
OS: Windows 7 x64
Install-type: Windows Installer and Windows .Zip
Skin (if applicable): NA
Firewall Software: ESET SmartSecurity, firewall disabled for all attempts.
Are you using IPV6? No
Is the issue reproducible? Yes, SABnzbd is practically unusable on my machine currently due to this problem.  Looking at my download list, it's roughly a 70%+ failure rate (where the corruption is so bad it cannot be repaired with the .PAR files).
Wreckus
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: December 12th, 2009, 11:31 pm

Re: Missing parts ("» Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (xxx short)"

Postby shypike » April 2nd, 2010, 4:44 am

This is a long report, but actually it contains no information that we can use to tackle the problem.
Essentially you say "it doesn't work", but Grabit does.
Obviously SABnzbd does work properly, otherwise this Forum would be overflowing with similar complaints.
Somehow it doesn't work in combination with your system.
Why, I have no idea.
It could still be bad memory, harddisk or an over-eager virus scanner.
Even if Grabit does work, it could still be one of the above causes (especially the virus scanner).
It's also possible that it's a bug in SABnzbd, that manifests itself on your system particularly badly.

What could help is a diagnostic session.
Start up SABnzbd with the --clean option.
Set logging level to debug.
Enter an NZB file and let it finish completely.
If it fails ZIP the log files and the NZB and email that to bugs at sabnzbd.org
If it doesn't fail, repeat the whole thing with a different NZB.

The speed is no issue, my own connection is 100Mbits/sec.
User avatar
shypike
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 18388
Joined: January 18th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Re: Missing parts ("» Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (xxx short)"

Postby Pepi » April 3rd, 2010, 5:33 pm

Long shot, but could it be the GROUP command?
Pepi
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: March 21st, 2010, 9:42 am

Re: Missing parts ("» Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (xxx short)"

Postby Wreckus » April 3rd, 2010, 5:59 pm

I didn't realize the logging was more in depth than what it showed in the web interface.  I turned on debug logging and reproduced the problem.  In the logs there were quite a few 'permission denied when saving to E:\blahblahblah' errors.  I ran the .exe as admin and they still occurred.  I then went and disabled all of the extra stuff in the firewall (anti-spyware, file system protection (probably the culprit), and anti-virus) and the errors went away.

I added an exception to my temp folder, hopefully that'll do the trick.  Thanks for pointing me to the debug log :).
Wreckus
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: December 12th, 2009, 11:31 pm


Return to Bug Reports