Is it legal to charge for ReadyNAS port of SABNZBD+?!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
kylejn

Is it legal to charge for ReadyNAS port of SABNZBD+?!

Post by kylejn »

I was just going to update the version of SABNZBD that's I installed for free on my ReadyNAS over a year ago, when I discovered that the link on readyNAS.com now takes me to a site called readyNASxtras.com where they are now charging for this plugin!

I have two questions:
- first, is it even legal for them to re-bundle the sabnzbd code and re-sell it?
- and second, is there someone else who is maintaining a free sabnzbd plugin for the ReadyNAS (or have updated instructions on how to install from scratch).
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is it legal to charge for ReadyNAS port of SABNZBD+?!

Post by shypike »

1. Yes it is. However, it is also legal to share the binaries with other ReadyNAS users.
2. I don't know
lennardw

Post by lennardw »

A nice detail on this is, is that SABNZBD+ is released under a GPL2 license. This means that the reseller must also release it under GPL2 and also provide the entire source code.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

or at their FAQ:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-license ... stedPublic
bbaraniec

Post by bbaraniec »

So happend that I'm ReadyNas user my self and I know the person creating those addons.
First of all if you want to install anything from sources you need to have SSH addon installed. In case if anything goes wrong wit your Nas and you have SSH installed Netgear may refuse you support.
Second no one is forcing you to buy any of those addons. Third you are not paying for program it self in that case SABnzbd, but for the work put in creating of this addon. Also buying this addon gives you right to request support.
On the other hand if you install it manually you need to do a lot of stuff to get your SAB to work, try to do it manually and come back with feedback. Those couple bucks for opportunity to download and install it with few clicks within seconds are really worth for most of ReadyNas not experienced users.
-
Kind regards
Bartek
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

bbaraniec wrote:Also buying this addon gives you right to request support.
Unfortunately the reality is that people come here for support.
lennardw

Post by lennardw »

shypike wrote:
bbaraniec wrote:Also buying this addon gives you right to request support.
Unfortunately the reality is that people come here for support.
Yes, but at least you can request it ;-)
bbaraniec

Post by bbaraniec »

Because people don't see the difference with support for addon and "problems" with SAB.
Like I said installation of addon is very simple, browse for file, click install, click link and configure SAB yet for few it's too much to do.
-
Kind regards
Bartek
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

bbaraniec wrote:Because people don't see the difference with support for addon and "problems" with SAB.
Like I said installation of addon is very simple, browse for file, click install, click link and configure SAB yet for few it's too much to do.
So, up to which point does the readyNAS-port creator give support? Does it include the initial setup of SAB to get it running? NAS problems with directories?

And is the ReadyNAS-port creator here in this forum?
bbaraniec

Post by bbaraniec »

As far as I understand he gives warranty that addon will not blow your Nas away and after going thru wizard SAB just works. For example there have been situation where those who installed manually had problems with privileges, stop/start script or installing addon in wrong place causing /root to go full and thus bricking Nas.
-
Kind regards
Bartek