Replacement nzb provider for Newzbin2.es?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
legoman666

Replacement nzb provider for Newzbin2.es?

Post by legoman666 »

It is with regret that we announce the closure of Newzbin2.

A combination of several factors has made this the only option. For a long time we have struggled with poor indexing of Usenet, poor numbers of reports caused by the majority of our editors dropping out & no-one replacing them. Our servers have been unstable and crashing on a regular basis meaning the NZBs & NFOs are unavailable for long periods and we don't have the money to replace them.

Newzbin2 was always hoped to be a viable underground commercial venture. The figures just don't stack up. Newzbin1 was said to have had 700,000 registered users. In fact that was the total number of people who ever signed up in the history of Newzbin from 2000 onwards & only a fraction were active, loads of people dropped out & went to other sites. We reckon they had about 100,000 users and of those only a few 10's of thousands paid premium topups.That still made good money for the Newzbin1 guys. We never quite got the trust and lots of people said "Newzbin2 is an MPA trap", that stung us bad and we never got the userbase back. We don't have much more than about 40000 active users and the number of premium users is in the small thousands. It costs much more to run than we bring in, It just doesn't stack up.

To make things worse all our payment providers dropped out or started running scared. The MPA sued Paypal and are going at our innocent payment provider Kthxbai Ltd in the UK. Our other payment provider has understandably lost their nerve. Result? We have no more payment providers to offer & no realistic means of taking money (no, Bitcoin isn't credible as it's just too hard for 90% of people).

The tragedy is this: unlike Newzbin1 we are 100% DMCA compliant. We have acted on every DMCA notice we received without stalling or playing games: if there was a DMCA complaint the report was gone. Period. That was a condition of our advertising & payment partners so we complied but we never got a single complaint from the MPA. Not one.

Will we be back? not as a search service but we might run a blog from this site at some point.
I've tried many nzb providers in the past, nothing touched the quality of newzbin. I've been using them since 2002. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm willing to pay as much as I was paying for newzbin, but not any more.
Mantene

Re: Replacement nzb provider for Newzbin2.es?

Post by Mantene »

I second this request. Any good indexing sites out there that live up to the NewzBin standard?
teriaki

Post by teriaki »

+1

During the time between Newzbin and Newzbin2, I started using NZBMatrix for a while. It always had the NZBs I wanted, and sometimes it even had ones that weren't posted on Newzbin (some sports programs, for example). But the integration was never as tight as with Newzbin and right around the time I was finding a solution for properly renaming the files automatically, Newzbin2 showed up.
draggi

Post by draggi »

I bookmarked this one, if you guys find anything capable, please let me know!
legoman666

Post by legoman666 »

I gave in and bought VIP access to nzbmatrix. I entered the API information into sabnzbd+ and sickbeard and it has worked for the couple of shows I follow that aired between yesterday and today. Access was $10.74 for 10 years which is a hell of a lot cheaper than newzbin. No idea how those folks were losing money when charging more than 20x as much as nzbmatrix...
teriaki

Post by teriaki »

legoman666 wrote:I gave in and bought VIP access to nzbmatrix. I entered the API information into sabnzbd+ and sickbeard and it has worked for the couple of shows I follow that aired between yesterday and today. Access was $10.74 for 10 years which is a hell of a lot cheaper than newzbin. No idea how those folks were losing money when charging more than 20x as much as nzbmatrix...
I could do some research but I think there is value in having the conversation here because a lot of people are going to need this solution...

What does Slickbeard do as a part of the solution?
draggi

Post by draggi »

I watch some films / series in foreign languages (german), i have lots of trouble finding DualLanguage releases or even german-only films in non-newzbin-indexers :/
tymanthius

Post by tymanthius »

I think the thing that bothers me most about this is those of us that have premium time left. There is no notice of how that is handled. In my case, it's only about $15. But to just stop and not do anything about it, even to not acknowledge it . . .

Also, there is a new site opened by some of the editors/admins of newzbin2. They are a splinter group, and there were bad feelings about it. I even got an unsolicited email from the new group, which I didn't appreciate, but well, may check them out now as newzbin2 is dead, and didn't have the grace to at least let me know I'll just lose my $.

EDIT:
Found the site: Don't know ANYTHING else about it yet: https://nzbs.in
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

tymanthius wrote: EDIT:
Found the site: Don't know ANYTHING else about it yet: https://nzbs.in
That's just another newznab site.
Mantene

Post by Mantene »

One would hope that some of the more exclusive Newzbin alternatives would open registrations for Newzbin refugees but that does not seem to be the case. So much for being a "community".
teriaki

Post by teriaki »

Mantene wrote:One would hope that some of the more exclusive Newzbin alternatives would open registrations for Newzbin refugees but that does not seem to be the case. So much for being a "community".
I guess I'm out of it. I assumed that type of thing existed but have no idea how I'd go about finding these sites.

I'll trade a waffles invite for an invite to a private NZB site in case that's interesting to anyone.
draggi

Post by draggi »

Mantene wrote:One would hope that some of the more exclusive Newzbin alternatives would open registrations for Newzbin refugees but that does not seem to be the case. So much for being a "community".
Very hard to find for someone without any connections - even if you are a loyal and reliable "end-user".
TinCanFury

Post by TinCanFury »

anyone use dognzb? if so could you provide an invite?

I'm also going to try to set up sickbeard and see if that plus nzbmatrix can work well.
dreamscene

Post by dreamscene »

Seems regs are closed on many of the good newznab-based sites these days..

During the "nzbs.org scare" I tested almost all free (and paid in free mode) alternatives.
While none was able to take the crown from nzbs.org, nzb.su and [censored] (great limits for free users back then; reg closed now) came pretty close.
Can't speak of the state of affairs today, though, but I did not like the hyped and over-promoted dognzb (or the new newzbin for that matter) or nzbsRus too much.
draggi wrote:I watch some films / series in foreign languages (german), i have lots of trouble finding DualLanguage releases or even german-only films in non-newzbin-indexers :/
Last time I checked after [censored] switched to newznab, they have been indexing pretty fast and had good regular expressions for German content.

Edit: Sorry, was just made aware that a certain indexer does not want to be mentioned in public forums anymore.
TinCanFury

Post by TinCanFury »

dreamscene wrote:Seems regs are closed on many of the good newznab-based sites these days..

During the "nzbs.org scare" I tested almost all free (and paid in free mode) alternatives.
While none was able to take the crown from nzbs.org, nzb.su and [censored] (great limits for free users back then; reg closed now) came pretty close.
Can't speak of the state of affairs today, though, but I did not like the hyped and over-promoted dognzb (or the new newzbin for that matter) or nzbsRus too much.
I kept hearing complaints about newzbin2, but never really had issue myself. (well outside of some of the asinine editor policy and management, it doesn't surprise me they had a drop-off in active editors).

anyway. I just installed Sickbeard. It looks pretty cool, and basically only needs a nzb cataloging source from what I can tell.

it does manage things differently than I have in the past, so I may need to "change" how I do things now, but this may make things easier in the long run.