Harddrive Configuration

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Javelin

Harddrive Configuration

Post by Javelin »

Hey guys love your Program kicks ass =)

Looking too spend some dosh to upgrade my system.
Got a older mobo with only Sata2. Which I will upgrade after New Years to Sata3 compatible.
But decided to upgrade my storage in the meantime because my external USB 2.0 2TB full.

Purchasing a Sata3 RED NAS Drive.

What is the optimum setup for incomplete, complete and post processing folder?

Should I download all data straight to the internal Sata Nas drive or my current old 320gb Sata2 primary OS drive?

Then where should I do the unpacking and post processing with couch potatoes and sick-beard?

How would this change when I upgrade the system to a SSD drive after new years? can they be worn out with heavy usage?

I'm looking to reduce wear of drives and help with stutter that can come from unpacking. Save power if possible as-well.

Sorry for all the questions but I read wiki and could not see any warnings or how to setup up efficiently.
Javelin

Re: Harddrive Configuration

Post by Javelin »

I have the 3tb drive hooked up now as a secondary disk. Should I put the incomplete folder destination on this drive and do the unpacking there or on my 320gb primary harddrive?
war59312

Post by war59312 »

As long as incomplete and complete are on different physical hard-disks and the connection between said hard disks is fast then you can achieve maximum performance.

In other words, yes you should be using two drives.
Javelin

Post by Javelin »

Thanks for your response War

Would that mean my computer is working twice as hard moving the file?

Or would it be "unpacking" it to the other drive or the same drive regardless?