Recovering from DMCA errors?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
bluenote

Recovering from DMCA errors?

Post by bluenote »

Hey guys

Is there a way to recover from DMCA errors, assuming that you've got good hosts and fill hosts, but still can't get all you need?

What I'm wondering is, it seems like sending out new PAR's would help this issue. Is there some standard or naming convention for doing this?

In practice, does it happen?

Thanks for the education
bison88

Re: Recovering from DMCA errors?

Post by bison88 »

Besides relying on fill servers (which eventually they will all get DMCA'd, just a matter of time), I don't think there is really a way to recover from DMCA'd files. They are physically removed from the server. What you're seeing is somewhat of a shadow copy of what once existed, but where it points to is nowhere. You'd need 100% PAR blocks to recover something DMCA'd and that would be unrealistic for uploaders and even then it would just take nuking the same named PAR files to make it useless (something most already are doing now). Right now the only real thing is obfuscated naming conventions of the files. That is only buying a few precious hours itself. With providers not even bothering to check/verify DMCA claims it takes as long as someone can send them a template DMCA request with the files listed to get nuked.

It's so fast in some cases that after downloading a minute from its full upload on Astraweb it'll get nuked before you finish or even half-way through. I'd suggest looking into trackers for backup purposes if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg for backup fills that often times aren't even cutting it.