Newzbin down the drain. Alternatives?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
KaiUno

Newzbin down the drain. Alternatives?

Post by KaiUno »

It's been a long time coming of course, but now due to their legal problems, there's a lot of reports that either don't make it at all, or get deleted after a while.

Anybody know of a service that equals Newzbin or at least isn't already being scrutinized by Hollywood?
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Newzbin down the drain. Alternatives?

Post by inpheaux »

These are your alternatives

In my opinion, they all suck for some reason or another, compared to Newzbin.

Personally, if I don't find what I want on Newzbin I just re-search on condensed mode. Most of the time it finds what I wanted and I can get it with a single click thanks to nzbdStatus. See, Newzbin is only censoring search results. The reports are all still there. Through Voodoo Magic, nzbdStatus can tell when a condensed group has an associated report, regardless of it has been flagged as censored or whatever, and puts the happy send-to-sabnzbd link in the search results.
KaiUno

Post by KaiUno »

Yeah, I've been doing the same thing. Problem is, I don't always know what I'm looking for and just browse for what's new. Doing that in condensed mode just isn't feasible.
b1scu1t
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by b1scu1t »

Have you checked the link in the earlier post with alternate nzb sites?  I use the rss feed script to automatically download the shows I am interested and it works very well.  Further the new 0.46 release has some bug fixes which makes this even better.
KaiUno

Post by KaiUno »

Have you read my 2nd post at all? I'm into browsing for new stuff, not rss feeds  ;)
twpux

Post by twpux »

The only one I can recommend is nzbmatrix.com. It's pretty good, pretty much all the new "mainstream" stuff gets there, although some of the more obscure things might not get there.. but for that we have the automated indexing sites :)
(Oh, and it's _very_ easy to browse for new stuff at nzbmatrix)

When that is all said and done, I might just try newzbin due to the half price sale at the moment..
KaiUno

Post by KaiUno »

Too bad you're a little late to the party. Newzbin was BY FAR the best indexing site out there. I've been using it for years and it really saddens me to see it deteriorate like this. Posts that were there before are disappearing.

Let's hope they solve their legal problems and can keep on going. The other sites on that list are utter crap in comparison  :'(
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

well some time ago they also had this issue , but so far nothing happened

so I guess it will survive
KaiUno

Post by KaiUno »

I wouldn't call reports being taken down en mass nothing, actually.
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

It's only some reports so far, but we will see.

But it's christmas , so annual sale is on .. and you know what that means ;-) ... 26 days left for me .. what to do
Last edited by rascalli on December 20th, 2008, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaiUno

Post by KaiUno »

Well... having checked out some of the alternatives, I'm praying on my bare knees for Newzbin to pull through. I still have about 150 days left on my account so I'll just keep checking.

But loosing stuff still feels weird. One day you're thinking  "ah, look at that. By the time my iPod touch gets here I'll download that ipod formatted series". The next day there's no trace of it. Grrr. Then that "what else am I missing out on" feeling starts to creep up and suddenly you've lost confidence in a service you've relied on for years.

*cries*
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

yeah I hope they will survive, as there is indeed no other service like this.

Or I need to start looking at RSS feeds or FTD for the downloads, to bad NZB-TV will not work anymore than ;-/
b1scu1t
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by b1scu1t »

What do you mean NZB-TV will not work anymore?  Foecher's rss feed works of tvnzb and works like a charm for me.  You can also use yahoo pipes if you want to roll your own rss feed, which also works reasonably well.

I totally agree newzbin is the best, but I am certain if something does happen to them there will be other alternatives.  Lately, I have made it a point to use the other engines for my needs and I have not missed a beat. 
huleboeren
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by huleboeren »

b1scu1t wrote: What do you mean NZB-TV will not work anymore?  Foecher's rss feed works of tvnzb and works like a charm for me.  You can also use yahoo pipes if you want to roll your own rss feed, which also works reasonably well.
snip
NZB-TV and tvnzb is not the same.
NZB-TV is a standalone app that relies on the reports and attributes of newzbin.com :P
http://two-sided.com/
b1scu1t
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by b1scu1t »

Ah I get it, I am a Mac user so I was oblivious to NZB-TV.  Either way my comment about tvnzb & foechler's feed is still applicable in this discussion.