File processing issue, or what?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
VAW

File processing issue, or what?

Post by VAW »

I've had my system with SABnzbd, CouchPotato and Sonarr working pretty well for a few weeks until this evening. And, frankly, I'm not sure where the problem lays ... SABnzbd or Sonarr. I've downloaded over 1.5TB previously.

On SABnzbd this evening I find a couple dozen files processing (spinning wheels). The oldest of the group shows "processing 15/15", and has been showing that for hours. Meanwhile, the other couple dozen files backed up behind it are doing nothing.

And as I said, I am not sure this is a SABnzbd problem. Just looking for a solution. I've put SAB on pause until I can figure this out. I've also rebooted the system.

Thanks.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: File processing issue, or what?

Post by shypike »

Extensive repair by par2 can take extremely much time.
If you think the repair crashed, open Windows Task Manager
and go to to the "Processes" tab and stop the process par2.exe
This will terminate the current repair and enables SABnzbd to process the other jobs.
VAW

Post by VAW »

Thanks for your response.

I attempted to end par2, it won't die. I've since rebooted and tried to kill it again. No joy. It won't stop.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

That is strange indeed.
There's always the brute force method.
Stop SABnzbd.
Remove the offending job in the temporary download folder.
Start SABnzbd.
VAW

Post by VAW »

Unfortunately, I kept fiddling with it before I saw your last post. So, I didn't do exactly as you prescribed.

I ended SABnzbd in the Task Manager. After doing that, I was able to also end par2.

I rebooted the PC and opened SABnzbd, CouchPotato and Sonarr. My SABnzbd queue had been emptied and history from the errant file back to where I placed the program on pause had been cleared. All but one item was cleared from the Sonarr "activity" list (not the problem file). And noted one error ...
ERROR: Loading C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\sabnzbd\admin\postproc1.sab failed with error

I've downloaded a single file since. It appears in the Downloads/Incomplete folder. I opened the un-renamed file and it seems to be intact, excepting the lack of post processing. And, it's not alone. I find 20 completed but not processed files totaling some 35 GB in the Incomplete folder. Of these, 14 are from the problem period and 9 of the 14 are complete.

Is there any other information I can provide to help analyze the problem? Or is this a problem which may be expected now and then? I gather communications between the two programs can get scrambled.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Sometimes the par2 program has these kinds of problems.
It's fairly old and not very well maintained, but it's all we have.
VAW

Post by VAW »

It has happened again. This time I see something similar to the last time. The file which is clogging things up is identified as a Season file (i.e., S01), rather than an episode file (S01E01) and appeared to be about 15X the size of episode files. I've put SAB on pause again and am going to hit the hay. I'll see if the program has worked things out in the morning.

Is there a way to prevent attempting to download files of this nature? Maybe that's a Sonarr question.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Are the resulting files (or should they) be larger than 2G?
In that case, try 0.8.0Alpha1 because that release contains a par2 version that can handle files over 2G better.
Be warned: 0.8.0 still has rough edges.
VAW

Post by VAW »

Yes, I believe they were only around 4-6 GB. But, I have downloaded movie files which were 16-17 GB without this issue. I don't know how the season files are organized, or if that's even relevant. But, both log jams seem to have had that in common.

SABnzbd indicates this file is 6.8 GB, has 178 articles missing, repair is required, and current status is verifying.

This time the shutdown/reboot sequence didn't solve the problem.

I just noticed I have a LONG list of orphaned jobs in the Download folder, shown on Status > queue repair. Top of the list is the current problem file.

FWIW, the errant file in the History list does not have a delete button on the right side of the row. All of the other files do, even the successful downloads and the files showing as in perpetual processing behind it. The file name is also in parenthesis.

I'm thinking of re-installing SABnzbd. But, I'll wait for your reply before going with it. If uninstalled, will my configuration settings be saved?
VAW

Post by VAW »

Couldn't wait. I re-installed. Didn't help. But, I didn't uninstall beforehand. I attempted a queue repair unsuccessfully.

EDIT: Since that didn't work, I went ahead and did a full uninstall, tracked down as much leftover stuff as I could find and deleted it, including the contents of my incompleted downloads folder (which was massive at over 100GB), then re-installed. It seems to have worked, so far. Yeah, it cleared out all of my queue and history. But, got rid of the problem file ... so that's good.

One question. Why didn't the errant file which was clogging up the works have a delete button? That might've solved the problem.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

The active post processing job cannot be deleted, mainly because SABnzbd cannot stop it par2 and unrar tools.
In the coming 0.8.0 release this might become possible,
giving you the option to remove even the active post processing job.
VAW

Post by VAW »

Sorry about dragging up this Zombie from three months ago.

I've had the same problem several times since. And each time, it's the same situation. Sonarr has requested a file which is an entire season, rather than individual episodes. It doesn't seem as though it would be the size of the file thats the problem, since I download movies which are easily larger.

I'm just posting now so you know this wasn't an isolated case. I appreciate your work. Peace.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

There are some issues with the par2 tool.
We are looking at how to stop the active post-processing task.