How to install SABnzbd on Debian 8 for multiple users

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Vorkbaard

How to install SABnzbd on Debian 8 for multiple users

Post by Vorkbaard »

Hi, I wrote a howto for installing SABnzbd on Debian 8 for multiple users using SABnzbd's source, not the package. It also covers setting up SSL connections with Let's Encrypt.

I'm not sure I covered all topics and did everything right but for me this works and I embrace feedback and constructive criticism. The howto is on my site: https://vorkbaard.nl/install-the-latest ... -debian-8/ If it gets a bit more polished I could also enter the article in the wiki on wiki.sabnzbd.org if somebody can provide an account for me.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to install SABnzbd on Debian 8 for multiple users

Post by safihre »

Looks like a good comprehensive guide!
Maybe you can also post it on Reddit, the Usenet community is pretty active there and more people might read/use/feedback it!
https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

@vorkbaard

A few questions:

- You used letsencrypt (good). What is the result if you access SABnzbd via a local IP address (RFC1918): what does Chrome say?
- You run simultaneous instances of SAB, correct? Does each user have to fill out his/her own usenet server(s), or do you share the usenet setting?
Vorkbaard

Post by Vorkbaard »

Local ip: it says the name on the certificate doesn't match the name of the site, which is correct and by design and also the reason why I use nat reflection to connect to SABnzbd from within my own network (meaning that I type in my domain name instead of my server's local ip address). Let's Encrypt doesn't work with non-public domain names. I used to use commercial certificates for that but there is really no point if you have a publicly registered domain name anyway. If you don't you can just use self-signed certs because you know all your clients.

Simultaneous instances of SAB: Yes, each user fills out their own usenet servers, et cetera. They have their own download folders and queueus, their own history, their own e-mail settings, and so on. You could work with template files and possibly combine them with Linux skeleton files for new Linux local user accounts if you have a lot of users.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

OK, clear. Thanks for answering.