$100 Dollar "Wall-wart" computer.

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
adaemox
Release Testers
Release Testers

$100 Dollar "Wall-wart" computer.

Post by adaemox »

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html

This could be pretty neat for SABnzbd.
Adaemox

SABnzbd+, Episode Butler, VDPAU, and Sick Beard Tutorials @ http://www.ainer.org

Ubuntu and Firefox Information at http://www.ainer.org
Camelot

Re: $100 Dollar "Wall-wart" computer.

Post by Camelot »

ok, so the specs are:
*1.2 GHz single CPU (256Kb L2 cache)
*512MB DDR2 SDRAM
*512MB NAND Flash HD
*GigE
*USB2

Anyone got sabnzbd running on anything similar? What would be the bottleneck? Could it even handle the par2 repairs?

Thanks
DeXeS
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by DeXeS »

Camelot wrote: Anyone got sabnzbd running on anything similar? What would be the bottleneck? Could it even handle the par2 repairs?
Think the bottleneck would be the processor.. The processor is a Marvell sheeva processor. This processor is specially made for dvd players, mobile phones, TV's, Navigation products etc. etc. The 1.2 ghz can't be compared with a Intel Core with 1.2Ghz.
remur

Post by remur »

I am running a sheeva plug with debian squeeze and am quite please-d (hah!)

It has a lot of jobs currently, but most only require power for a certain short timeframe or have a low footprint, downloading with 600kbyte/s over an ipv6 sixxs tunnel with sabnzbd is between 40% and 60% system load
The tunnel might be to blame a bit here as well, when I moved the tunnel endpoint to my small plastic router it crumbled under the load, so your milage may vary with normal IPv4
Also it currently runs of a class 10 sdhc card, the downloads go to a rather slow 8gb usb stick and later I currently download them manually, a cronjob to push it somewhere bigger will be used later though.

A par2 check run is 65% load, but I guess my usb stick is limiting here as well, repair makes load go up to 90%+
An example repair:

Code: Select all

Repair is required.
2 file(s) are missing.
47 file(s) are ok.
You have 493 out of 515 data blocks available.
You have 52 recovery blocks available.
Repair is possible.
You have an excess of 30 recovery blocks.
22 recovery blocks will be used to repair.
took roughly 4 minutes, 700mb to be repaired

This processor is not made for TV or mobile phones, it's been crafted for NAS applications, there are already normal NAS systems with the kirkwood platform out there.
I didn't have a headless server running before as my old systems all drew too much power, the 7W this thing eats max. I can take, the power is just about right for tasks like sabnzbd
RXP

Post by RXP »

This should work, even the Popcorn Hour's measly processor can do Par2 checking/reparing. I run Sab on a 6 year old 1.3ghz Centrino laptop, only consumes 10-15w of energy and runs perfect!
Spamo

Post by Spamo »

this would work well in my opinion, but what about unraring and par-ing.... that would be a real bottleneck