No posting? Do 1 thing and do it well?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
tomdones

No posting? Do 1 thing and do it well?

Post by tomdones »

I did search for "posting" in search. It wasn't mentioned on page 1, 5, 20 or 35...so I'm asking here.

Why no posting? I understand there are other applications out there and the whole point of the api is to aide such, but not even a simple form to run something from script? ypost might be the only command line application I know of that can post (is there others?), but it does work (although a popular windows news reader has a hard time with it).

Anyways, just wondering. Yes, I did notice there is only a down arrow behind the name, no up arrow.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ypost/
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: No posting? Do 1 thing and do it well?

Post by safihre »

Posting is less popular than downloading..
And there's many scripts and I believe some programs for Windows available that you just have to tell a directory with a video and they will do all the rar/par2/obfuscation/upload work.

Much better for them to do :)
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
tomdones

Post by tomdones »

Uhhhhhhhhhhh...for piracy that is :-P.

Maybe think about this, now that it's 2016 upload speeds are usable. I'm uploading gpg files for backup that are my actual photos. However, I hit a wall on deciding how to keep track of what went where. SQL, JSON, CSV, etc... There is no popular inverse of .nzb. I'm thinking about uploading what ever pgp db I come up with using the "uploader" name as usrrname, and the pgp as password (will need an algo too for "subject" and/or "file").

I guess theres better ways considering even cheap shared webhosts come with unlimited storage today, but usenet is a decent option.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

That's not what usenet is for.
It's not your personal storage that's copied over thousands of servers across the globe.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
tomdones

Post by tomdones »

Of course it is, it has been since I've been using it (1997). I only knew about a.b.backup and a.b.boneless, but apparently there is at least 2 more according to the charter.

alt.binaries.backup To Post encrypted Backups, and use Usenet as Backup space
alt.binaries.backup.space To Post encrypted Backups, and use Usenet as Backup space
free.binaries.backup For Posting Backups
alt.binaries.boneless No description. (anything goes here).

ftp://ftp.isc.org/usenet/CONFIG/newsgroups

Doesn't matter, posting is something I imagine has next to zero interest right now (especially considering usenet is officially deprecated and piracy seems to be its main angle).