FYI: effects of NAS directories on speed

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

FYI: effects of NAS directories on speed

Post by sander »

We discourage to use a NAS drives as Incomplete or Complete directory because it makes unpacking slow. To show this, I did a few tests:

A 975 MB download, see https://www.binsearch.info/?b=big.buck. ... 3E&max=250

Core i3 laptop connected via Fast Ethernet.
Internal disk: SSD. SAB's wrench symbol reports: "folder speed 208.9 MB/"
External disk: NAS drive (Synology). SAB's wrench symbol reports: "folder speed 10.9 MB/s" (=fast ethernet speed). So about 20 times slower.

The results:
Incomplete and Complete on SSD: "Unpacked 2 files/folders in 15 seconds"
Incomplete on SSD, Complete on NAS: "Unpacked 2 files/folders in 1 min 24 seconds". So about 6 times slower.
Incomplete and Complete on NAS: "Unpacked 2 files/folders in 2 mins 43 seconds". So about 11 times slower.

So ... try to avoid NAS and other slow drives.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: FYI: effects of NAS directories on speed

Post by safihre »

And what if it's connected via gigabit? :)
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

safihre wrote:And what if it's connected via gigabit? :)
I will test that: I believe my Synology DS212 has GigE, and somewhere I have a laptop with GigE. And of course I have my ARM64-board with GigE.
terry123

Post by terry123 »

You will be unlikely to secure 1Gbps, your local disk will bottleneck it.

I did a big download recently, several TB. after about 24 hours i checked the progress and it was a mess, a very long queue waiting to unpack. I traced the problem (using the wonderful netdata) back to by SSHD disk that I was using. I had assumed that an SSHD would be a fast option when a lot of storage would be required. Nope, the disk queuing was incredible and it would have taken weeks to complete the unpacking assuming that nothing shit the bed.

I switched the incomplete folder to an SSD that the OS was on and it ran really fast and smooth from then on.

If you use a NAS, via SMB or NFS, it still needs to be cached on the local disk before being flushed to the NAS, for small files that are downloaded infrequently, it would probably be ok but if you start with big downloads then it is asking for trouble.

Just do it all locally on the fastest disk you have (a RAM disk would be good) and then move the file to NAS after it has completed.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Results with SABnzbd running on my ARM64 low-low-spec CPU, with both Incomplete and Complete on my Synology, connected via GigE.
Download folder speed 64.5 MB/s
Complete folder speed 65.1 MB/s

Downloaded in 53 seconds at an average of 18.4 MB/s

[big.buck.bunny.2008.4k] Repaired in 1 min 16 seconds

[big.buck.bunny.2008.4k] Unpacked 2 files/folders in 1 min 12 seconds
So downloading takes less time than repairing and less time than unpacking ... ::)
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

But that's a different machine then in your first post!
To compare we would also need to know the speeds if both Complete/Incomplete or only Incomplete are locally on the ARRM64.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

safihre wrote:But that's a different machine then in your first post!
To compare we would also need to know the speeds if both Complete/Incomplete or only Incomplete are locally on the ARRM64.
Yeah, I know, but in the ARM64 there is only a poor micro-SD-card ... I don't expect any speed from that ... ::)

I will find a GigE-Intel-machine that has a built-in disk...