new hardware setup

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Hydranet

new hardware setup

Post by Hydranet »

I'm planning on replacing my current nas system. I'm still deciding which CPU to go for Ryzen 3 3200G or Athlon 3000G.
The Athlon is a bit more energy friendly, but it is a dual core, and the other is a quad core and uses a bit more energy than
the Athlon. Which of the to CPU's will sabnzbd perform better with, don't know if sabnzbd is multicore compatible? Any
which of the CPU's will the par and unpacking processes perform better with? Also I am planning to have 8G ram in this
system, my current system has 4. Will that be enough, or should I make it 16, not sure how increased memory will effect
the performance of sabnzbd?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: new hardware setup

Post by sander »

SABnzbd itself is single-core (I'm not sure about sabyenc), but unrar (and probably par2repair) are multi-core.

I would go for the Athlon because of the lesser energy consumption.

4GB or 8GB: will you run a graphical interface on the NAS? If not, 4GB is enough.

Out of curiosity: How download speed are you aiming at?
Hydranet

Re: new hardware setup

Post by Hydranet »

I will be running a headless system so no graphical interface, but memory isn't that expensive now days so it can't hurt to have 8G. I'm aiming to get max speed my ISP allows me which is 500 Mbit/s, with my current setup I get the average speed of 273.48 Mbit/s (tested via speedtest cli tool) Just tested sabnzbd from my laptop which has a nvme ssd in it and there I get alot closer to the max speed allowed by my ISP 434.41 Mbit/s.