Download Rate Appears to be Capped at 5.5 MB/s But Why? [Plan 40-60 Mbps]

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
ostrichsak

Download Rate Appears to be Capped at 5.5 MB/s But Why? [Plan 40-60 Mbps]

Post by ostrichsak »

Long time user, first time poster. O0

I've searched the forums but can't seem to find an answer to my question. I've seen a few posts from people having similar speed issues but no clear resolutions within those threads. I've tried all of the possible options I can seem to find or that I've read to try and the issue persists.

The maximum transfer speed I've ever seen on sab in many years of use is 5.5 MB/s with this number occasionally slightly lower but never higher. I've got 500mbps download speeds from my ISP and have tested my speeds to be at least this rate. Under general config my Maximum line speed is set to 75 MB/s (I had it at 62 previously to test a theory but the results didn't change) with percentage at 100. Under servers I have my primary server propagated with a connection setting of 10. In the past, I've tried a lower number testing a theory but the results also didn't change. It should be noted that I pay for a level of service that allows for 10 connections and just received an email saying that my speeds have been increased from 40 to 60mbit. It also advises to use all 10 connections for the best possible service.

So, what's the possible issue here? I feel like I should be seeing max speeds quite a bit faster as 5.5 MB/s is only 44mbps which is less than 1/10th of my confirmed speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
ostrichsak

Re: Download Rate Appears to be Capped at 5.5 MB/s But Why?

Post by ostrichsak »

To answer a could of questions I forgot to address before they get asked:

I have a VPN but don't use it for this machine.

Connection is 100% hardwired and the testing I did to get 500+mbps was done on the same machine so I know that that machine/connection is capable of much higher throughput.

Machine is a fairly beastly (for this task) HP Z420 running dual Xeon processors and 32GB of RAM along with SSD primary and RAID 7200RPM storage drives. I've never seen any of my resources break a sweat during this along with many other processes and streams running simultaneously.

Windows 10 machine up-to-date and sab version is 2.3.9
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

ostrichsak wrote: May 7th, 2020, 1:30 pm It should be noted that I pay for a level of service that allows for 10 connections and just received an email saying that my speeds have been increased from 40 to 60mbit. It also advises to use all 10 connections for the best possible service.

So, what's the possible issue here? I feel like I should be seeing max speeds quite a bit faster as 5.5 MB/s is only 44mbps
5.5 MB/s at Application layer is more than 44 Mbps at network layer.

Anyway: just buy a plan with no such limits. 40 or 60 Mbps is not of this time. There are great plans on https://reddit.com/r/usenet/new, starting at 15 USD for 24 months (so 0.62 USD per month!), with unlimited speed (hint: newsgroupdirect)
ostrichsak wrote: May 7th, 2020, 1:30 pm which is less than 1/10th of my confirmed speed.
That is a comparison like this: you have a Lada that can drive 100 km/h according to the Russian manual, and you're on the Autobahn (speed limit 250 km/h) ... but still your Lada cannot go faster than 90 km/h ...

Solution: buy a Volkswagen or an Audi
ostrichsak

Post by ostrichsak »

sander wrote: May 7th, 2020, 2:00 pm
ostrichsak wrote: May 7th, 2020, 1:30 pm It should be noted that I pay for a level of service that allows for 10 connections and just received an email saying that my speeds have been increased from 40 to 60mbit. It also advises to use all 10 connections for the best possible service.

So, what's the possible issue here? I feel like I should be seeing max speeds quite a bit faster as 5.5 MB/s is only 44mbps
5.5 MB/s at Application layer is more than 44 Mbps at network layer.

Anyway: just buy a plan with no such limits. 40 or 60 Mbps is not of this time. There are great plans on ["New users are not allowed to post links"... in quotes of established users too apparently] for 24 months (so 0.62 USD per month!), with unlimited speed (hint: newsgroupdirect)
ostrichsak wrote: May 7th, 2020, 1:30 pm which is less than 1/10th of my confirmed speed.
That is a comparison like this: you have a Lada that can drive 100 km/h according to the Russian manual, and you're on the Autobahn (speed limit 250 km/h) ... but still your Lada cannot go faster than 90 km/h ...

Solution: buy a Volkswagen or an Audi
Thanks for the quick response.

When I said I ran a speed test that was via a Chrome browser which is the application layer and I'm getting WELL over 500+ mbps. Besides, the exact number of 44mbps, 46mbps or whatever isn't as important that it's still ten times slower than I'm paying for... roughly. Let's not get caught up in the minutia here. Even if it's only five times slower than the speeds I should be getting... I should still be getting it.

I must be dense because I see zero options for $15 for 24-months of service with unlimited bandwidth. Can you spoon feed me further details? Not sure what is allowable on this forum so feel free to PM me whatever details aren't admissible via public consumption. I only see options that are more like $75 for 12-months of service with unlimited speed. Not far off of what I paid for my current service but I'm really not looking to pay more here if I can pay much less by your words. I will reconsider when my current service expires at $75/yr but if it's truly $15 for 2-years of service with unlimited speeds I'll buy now rather than wait.

As far as the speed/car analogy goes, I own a Tesla that does 0-60 in around 3-seconds after decades of owning cars I thought were fast. Once I drove a Tesla Model S I knew everything else was silly by comparison. I have no problem upgrading if the deal makes sense is the point I'm trying to make keeping your analogy.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Download Rate Appears to be Capped at 5.5 MB/s But Why? [Plan 40-60 Mbps]

Post by sander »

check your PM
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

And ... ? What speed did you get with an unlimited-speed plan?
ostrichsak

Post by ostrichsak »

Hey sander, I basically back-burnered this situation. I've got a lot going on and this hasn't been a pressing matter in the grand scheme of things. I have since upgraded my connection from 500 to 1,000. I haven't had too much time to test but I did notice that my download speeds within sab went from 5.5ish to 6.4ish without any other changes. The increase is nice but I'm still a far cry from the download speeds I'm paying for. Another issues I need to take up with my ISP is that I haven't once yet tested a speed higher than 850 or so but that's still way, way, WAY more than the speeds I'm seeing within sab.
Last edited by ostrichsak on May 28th, 2020, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Try the unlimited speed plan when you are ready :)
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
ostrichsak

Post by ostrichsak »

I tried to send a couple of replies to your PM sander but I've got two stuck in my outbox for reasons unknown to me. When I click the link you sent I can't seem to find any mention of the plan you described. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

ostrichsak wrote: May 28th, 2020, 8:45 am I tried to send a couple of replies to your PM sander but I've got two stuck in my outbox for reasons unknown to me. When I click the link you sent I can't seem to find any mention of the plan you described. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

You are too late. That was on offer May 7 and 9. Not anymore. Just like supermarket offers "this week: 30 apples for 3 euro". After 19 days such an offer is not there anymore
I just received your PM with questions about that offer beginning of May. I can't and don't want to answer those questions: contact the seller about that.

HTH
ostrichsak

Post by ostrichsak »

sander wrote: May 28th, 2020, 9:38 am
ostrichsak wrote: May 28th, 2020, 8:45 am I tried to send a couple of replies to your PM sander but I've got two stuck in my outbox for reasons unknown to me. When I click the link you sent I can't seem to find any mention of the plan you described. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

You are too late. That was on offer May 7 and 9. Not anymore. Just like supermarket offers "this week: 30 apples for 3 euro". After 19 days such an offer is not there anymore
I just received your PM with questions about that offer beginning of May. I can't and don't want to answer those questions: contact the seller about that.

HTH
Le sad. :(
ostrichsak

Post by ostrichsak »

If another deal similar to that one comes up let me know. Either here or via PM or whatever. If my current subscription expires (end-of-year) I'd even be willing to pay a little more than the deal mentioned here for decent speed and quality service. The price that was mentioned though was good enough that I was seriously considering doing it even though my current subscription is only about half way through. I snooze, I loozed though. lulz