external hard drive?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
petvil

external hard drive?

Post by petvil »

how do you download to an external hard drive . I have tried entering the path and it just keeps going to my computers hard drive. I have a macbook.
young-einstein

Re: external hard drive?

Post by young-einstein »

What's the full path that you're trying to use, and which field(s) are actually changing in SABnzbd?
Vdub

Post by Vdub »

I also noticed the default download path is restored when using an external hard drive. This only happends during boot-up of SABnzbd and is probably related to the time it takes Windows to recognize the external drive. Thus, SABnzbd just restores to the default path because the entered path does not exist at time of bootup.

No problem to download to the external drive though, just make sure it´s mounted before starting the client.

Is there a way of making SABnzbd not resetting the entered path even though that path does not exist?
jetshred

Post by jetshred »

You need to find the full path to the drive.  I have an external drive called Media hooked up to my Mac Mini.  The path to my completed download folder is "/Volumes/Media/completed".  If you are having trouble getting that to work open Terminal and type "cd /Volumes", enter key, and then type "ls" enter key.  All your drives will be listed.
petvil

Post by petvil »

Nothing has worked for me the configuration shows the computers hard drive and it just keeps going there. I have entered the path on the download folder and used volumes/z:name of external drive/ folder name and all I get is those folders created on the computers hard drive nothing goes to the external drive. Unless I know how to change the configuration drive path this will always happen. help please ???
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

petvil wrote: and used volumes/z:name of external drive/ folder name
volumes/z:name is not a valid path on any system.
arto65

Post by arto65 »

I have the same problem with sabnzbd autostart in OSX.
Path is /volumes/elements/usenet
It seems that because sabnzbd starts before the hdd is mounted, it assumes the directory is not available anymore.
If I launch sabnzbd manually after hdd is mounted, everything works fine.
Is there a way to prioritize the startup, or set sabnzbd to wait for the hdd to be mounted?

Thanks for your help!
arto65

Post by arto65 »

I finally found the solution to my problem: I formatted the HDD as NTFS.
NTFS shouldn't be used on a regular basis because 10.6.x drivers are not reliable enough, and NTFS doesn't work that well on Mac.
So I formatted everything to HFS+ and now everything works fine!
EaCy

Post by EaCy »

petvil wrote: I have entered the path on the download folder and used volumes/z:name of external drive/ folder name
The correct line is: /Volumes/name of external drive/folder name
Also, a NTFS formatted drive will not work with a Mac, unless you have special software installed. It should be HFS+
The drive must also be mounted before you start SABnzbd+, or the directory will be set to default, which is usually on the internal drive
This has worked fine for me, even with HDD hooked up to a Time Capsule (multiple using a usb hub).
Of course, unpacking takes a bit longer, but the files are available to everyone in the network.
Last edited by EaCy on January 5th, 2011, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.