What's your fastest D/L speed?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
NickDawson

Re: What's your fastest D/L speed?

Post by NickDawson »

inpheaux wrote:
5.5 Mb/s ~= 45mbit, you're right about at your max throughput.

Some of our research has shown that SABnzbd actually performs WORSE as you increase your connection count. So you may be cutting your speeds short by using 60 connections. Generally, the best idea is to use only however many connections you need until you saturate your downstream. This usually only takes a couple connections, 5-10, maybe 20?
Great info, thanks Inpheaux!
SpiderMang
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by SpiderMang »

inpheaux wrote:
NickDawson wrote: Great thread!
SABnzbd says Im pulling 5512.13 KB/s on my 50mbs/20mbs FiOS connection.
My router shows the traffic pegged at 51mbs... so Im not sure which is accurate. 50 mbs or 5.5mbs...
5.5 Mb/s ~= 45mbit, you're right about at your max throughput.
NickDawson wrote: Either way, its reasonable :D . I've been using newshosting, but after reading this thread I signed up for Supernews today. Right now I have them both running for a total of 60 connections. Which leads into another question... Why does the number of concurrent connections matter? If you only had one connection wouldn't it just go through each thread as fast as it could? Wouldn't the end result be the same?
Some of our research has shown that SABnzbd actually performs WORSE as you increase your connection count. So you may be cutting your speeds short by using 60 connections. Generally, the best idea is to use only however many connections you need until you saturate your downstream. This usually only takes a couple connections, 5-10, maybe 20?

The reason you need more than one thread at all is that with usenet each article has to be sequentially downloaded, decoded, and assembled. Since articles are small, it's probably going to take longer to decode and assemble the article than it will to download it. So if you only use one thread it'll download real fast. wait. download real fast. wait. etc, which leads to poor overall speeds since there's so much downtime.

So if you use several connections, the idea is that they won't all be downloading simultaneously, which gets you better average usage of your bandwidth.
What you mean is 5.5 MB/s ~= 44mbit
yellownote

Post by yellownote »

5512.13 KB/s – I can only dream! The best I've seen here is ~1600 KB/s...
ziddey

Post by ziddey »

SpiderMang wrote: What you mean is 5.5 MB/s ~= 44mbit
8 bits in a byte brobro
Wreckus

Post by Wreckus »

6.4MB/s, 50Mb Comcast.

I'm pretty excited to see if Giganews can saturate the 1Gb connections that Google will be putting out.
weldon
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by weldon »

When I bring my laptop to University I frequently get 29 MB (megabytes) per second. Downloading tv shows in less than 10 seconds ftw
WP7 Sabnzbd/NZBMatrix/Newzbin App: Sab Watch http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=5556.0
sarahb

Post by sarahb »

weldon wrote: When I bring my laptop to University I frequently get 29 MB (megabytes) per second. Downloading tv shows in less than 10 seconds ftw
That's crazy fast!
Zepp

Post by Zepp »

47 megabytes / second on campus.
malaky

Post by malaky »

820KB/s

It's sad that I am so sad it's that "slow".

I remember when I had 4.5KB/s and now I am impatient because it takes longer than a minute to download a TV show :p
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

DaisyGirl28 wrote: I was informed by my IP that my connection speed is 2 mbps. I tend to interpret it as 2 megabytes per second as I have seen some posts but I have also seen others that claim it is 2000 megabytes per second. Makes it quite confusing.
You're mixing up Mbps and MBps.
Anyway: go to http://www.speedtest.net/ , click "Begin Test" and see what your speed is (in Mbps). Divide that Mbps by 10, and you have your MBps speed.

Also interesting: let Youtube find out your speed: http://www.youtube.com/my_speed and click on click on "Show Test Video".

Rule of thumb: ISPs/Telco's tell you their speed in Mbps (b = bits), applications (like SAB) tell their speed in MBps (B = Bytes); there is a factor 10 between that.
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
If someone helps you, please reply to that help.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
hughfan

Post by hughfan »

You guys are lucky here in Ontario with Bell Im pretty lucky to get 400kbps and thats only during portions of the day.. Many times Im only doing 80kbps or less.. Grr
mkopel

Post by mkopel »

I generally get 1.5 MB/s with Comcast and Astraweb. It completely maxes out my dl bandwidth.
SpiderMang
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by SpiderMang »

ziddey wrote:
SpiderMang wrote: What you mean is 5.5 MB/s ~= 44mbit
8 bits in a byte brobro
Exactly what I said.
jnwright23

Post by jnwright23 »

400 kB/s

Yep. Really sloooooow. :(
j0rdan

Post by j0rdan »

No ones quoted their speeds from the UK yet, so I will share mine.

I download at a constant 50Mbps. (6.25MBps) (yeh, Mbps is a factor of 8 not 10).

Im on Virgin Media's 50Mb cable service and am downloading from Giganews, although I find 10 connection (out of 50) is enough to give me my stable constant speed.

That speed is of course reliant on that system being the only system on the internet of course, when i get other systems doing things like playing games, watchin online videos and the like then it slows way down to about 46Mbps (5.75MBps).