What's your fastest D/L speed?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
SpiderMang
Release Testers
Release Testers

What's your fastest D/L speed?

Post by SpiderMang »

I've gotten mine to 11.63 MB/s, but average is 10.95 MB/s. I live in Canada, SK and my ISP package is Shaw Nitro. My usenet provider is Supernews and I use all 30 connections.
smidley

Re: What's your fastest D/L speed?

Post by smidley »

4.8MB/sec on Giganews.  In Oregon using Comcasts 30Mb service.

I just changed my account to Supernews instead of Giganews though... how are you liking it?
ncjok

Post by ncjok »

Is that a new connection, pair of dimes?

I just remember a thread discussing a scaling problem for the rate graph in the smpl interface stating that none of the devs could match the OP's bandwidth.

http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=3348.0
SpiderMang
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by SpiderMang »

Really dimes? What connection do you have? That speed would be 281.25 Mb/s. Or did you mean 36,000 Kb/s which would be 35.15 Mb/s.

And I really like Supernews. I used Giganews for 5 years. But moved to Supernews for the price and more connections.
smidley

Post by smidley »

You actually get more connections with Giganews (50), but I only use 20 to max out my connection anyway, and Supernews offers 30.  And you can't beat the price!  :)

How many connections is everyone else using?
SpiderMang
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by SpiderMang »

Ya 50 connections with Giagnews for triple the price.

Who is your service provider dimes?
jsolson

Post by jsolson »

I just started using Supernews, and my current speed is 18 megabytes/second.
Wish i could get a high speed like 35 megabytes/second

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Power to the people
smidley

Post by smidley »

I'm guessing you guys doing live in the US?
Jeebz

Post by Jeebz »

Im in Australia and i get 1800kb/s and that's considered fast for Australia the fastest being 2400kb/s (ADSL2+ only 24mb max link) that's right and they say we shouldn't complain about our internet. A lot of people cant get faster than 150kb/s its a sad state we live in at the moment. On top of all of that we have quota's on our ISP plans i get 100 gig a month split 50 gig peak (8am-2am) and off peak 50 gig (2am-8am).

Sigh it makes me sad to see how good everyone else gets it

we are meant to be building a fibre network atm so speeds of 100mb bit ill believe that when i see it (8 years away they reckon)
smidley

Post by smidley »

Jeebz wrote: Im in Australia and i get 1800kb/s and that's considered fast for Australia the fastest being 2400kb/s (ADSL2+ only 24mb max link) that's right and they say we shouldn't complain about our internet. A lot of people cant get faster than 150kb/s its a sad state we live in at the moment. On top of all of that we have quota's on our ISP plans i get 100 gig a month split 50 gig peak (8am-2am) and off peak 50 gig (2am-8am).

Sigh it makes me sad to see how good everyone else gets it

we are meant to be building a fibre network atm so speeds of 100mb bit ill believe that when i see it (8 years away they reckon)
Wow that's terrible!  I'm "capped" here too.  Supposedly 250gigs a month, but I've gone over that almost every month and I've only recieved one warning phone call.
SpiderMang
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by SpiderMang »

I kinda question the 18 MBps & 35 MBps claims. What ISP's are providing 144 Mbps & 280 Mbps, both of which are faster than 10/100 ethernet. Please provide your ISP and package.
jetshred

Post by jetshred »

Man, I'm almost embarrassed to post my speed.  1.8 megabytes/second.  That's the fastest internet I can get here in Eastern North Carolina.  My D/L speed usually hovers right at 1.17 MB/s.
adamsuail

Post by adamsuail »

well..i just switched from torrents and now i know what i was missing !!
Getting 480 KB/s  (4 mbit/s connection, unlimited downloads)...its 119 US $ a month here in Dubai..VERY EXPENSIVE.

my news server is Newshosting with 30 connections, but am only using  5 connections, am really not sure whether to increase the number of connections or not....its already maxing out my DSL!

I NEED MORE STORAGE  ;D

Cheers SABnzbd+  you really rock.
Last edited by adamsuail on February 23rd, 2010, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickDawson

Post by NickDawson »

Great thread!
SABnzbd says Im pulling 5512.13 KB/s on my 50mbs/20mbs FiOS connection.
My router shows the traffic pegged at 51mbs... so Im not sure which is accurate. 50 mbs or 5.5mbs...

Either way, its reasonable :D . I've been using newshosting, but after reading this thread I signed up for Supernews today. Right now I have them both running for a total of 60 connections. Which leads into another question... Why does the number of concurrent connections matter? If you only had one connection wouldn't it just go through each thread as fast as it could? Wouldn't the end result be the same?
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

NickDawson wrote: Great thread!
SABnzbd says Im pulling 5512.13 KB/s on my 50mbs/20mbs FiOS connection.
My router shows the traffic pegged at 51mbs... so Im not sure which is accurate. 50 mbs or 5.5mbs...
5.5 Mb/s ~= 45mbit, you're right about at your max throughput.
NickDawson wrote: Either way, its reasonable :D . I've been using newshosting, but after reading this thread I signed up for Supernews today. Right now I have them both running for a total of 60 connections. Which leads into another question... Why does the number of concurrent connections matter? If you only had one connection wouldn't it just go through each thread as fast as it could? Wouldn't the end result be the same?
Some of our research has shown that SABnzbd actually performs WORSE as you increase your connection count. So you may be cutting your speeds short by using 60 connections. Generally, the best idea is to use only however many connections you need until you saturate your downstream. This usually only takes a couple connections, 5-10, maybe 20?

The reason you need more than one thread at all is that with usenet each article has to be sequentially downloaded, decoded, and assembled. Since articles are small, it's probably going to take longer to decode and assemble the article than it will to download it. So if you only use one thread it'll download real fast. wait. download real fast. wait. etc, which leads to poor overall speeds since there's so much downtime.

So if you use several connections, the idea is that they won't all be downloading simultaneously, which gets you better average usage of your bandwidth.