Directing SABNZBD to a specific network interface

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
JoshFink

Directing SABNZBD to a specific network interface

Post by JoshFink »

Not sure if this is the place to ask but I will anyways. I have two networks on the computer. One is wired and one is wireless. They connect to two different newtworks. I would like to have SAB use the wired interface for all downloads. I'm using Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

How would I go about directing the program to use a certain interface?

Thanks for the help

Josh
rascalli

Re: Directing SABNZBD to a specific network interface

Post by rascalli »

They will also have 2 different IP's if I am correct

So set sabnzbd+ on the network you want it to use by using the correspondending IP
JoshFink

Post by JoshFink »

rascalli wrote: They will also have 2 different IP's if I am correct

So set sabnzbd+ on the network you want it to use by using the correspondending IP
Two different IPs yes.

Is that the setting of "Host SAB should listen on"? Will that route traffic out to the newsgroup servers through that same network?

I would like the front end webserver to be accessible on both networks if possible. Not a huge deal if it's not but it would be nice.

Edit: Ok, I just read what I wrote. Probably can't have a webserver listening on two different networks at the same time. Is it possible to have the Webserver sit on Network A(wired) but have the Newsgroup traffic go out Network B(wireless)?

Maybe some kind of manual routing on the box?

Thanks
Last edited by JoshFink on September 22nd, 2010, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Rascalli, you are confusing two things.
The link you list is about downloading from two networks.
That's not so easy with SABnzbd.

Having the UI listen to a specific IP is easy, just find out what the wireless IP is
and set that address in Config->General as "host".
Strontium

Post by Strontium »

Actually they are 2 different things. 

1 is what interface the SAB HTML interface is on and that is the interface you can set in sab, the other is what network interface SAB downloads from news groups on. 

By default the news code in sab (based on my 5 mintues of looking so I am happy to be proven wrong) uses a standard python library for accessing news servers.  that library as far as I can tell has no ability to bind to a particular interface it just routes however the OS routes (default route), regardless of what interface you tell sab to run its html interface on. 
rascalli wrote: Maybe this helps : http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=5104.0
This answer is correct for Linux.  If you only have one news server and you want sab to access it through a specific port you need to make your pc route all traffic to the news servers IP through your desired port and not the default.  The post I wrote about getting 2 ports working for increased throughput working is how you would do it on linux for one port (you just route the only news server you use over the desired port). 

How you do that on windows is not known to me, the last time I used windows, XP had just been released.

One way is to make the port you want news traffic on to be your "default route" and then point the UI interface to the other one.  Of course this has the downside of routing all traffic over the same port as your news server which may not be what you want.  Otherwise I recommend searching google (or whatever) to see how you can set up a static route to a internet server in windows 7, which is what you want to do.
JoshFink

Post by JoshFink »

Alright guys, here is the solutions for Windows.

You'll need to add a route that points to the IP or IP addresses of your newsgroup servers

route -p add MASK

The are just for descriptions , don't use them in the command line.
The -p makes it a permanent route that survives reboots

Thanks for the help

Josh
owf

Post by owf »

A very late response, but worth it, I think, as this thread still comes up in Google.

The above solutions of adding my newsgroup servers' IP addresses to the routing table to send that traffic via the VPN hasn't worked well for me because Astraweb has a ridiculous number of constantly-changing IP addresses, and other stuff gets caught up in the routing rules if you try things like routing an entire subnet/netblock.

Setting a route by server/domain name won't work because all that does is immediately look up the IP address and insert a route for that. When the DNS changes, your routing will be broken and usenet traffic will escape via your normal Internet connection.

What I've done instead is route all traffic to a specific port via the VPN, which is fairly simple.

Depending on who provides your newsgroup servers, you might be able to find a port common between them that isn't used for other Internet shenanigans. Port 563 is your best bet, as that's the official NNTPS (newsgroups + SSL) port.

Certainly Astraweb, Xennews and Blocknews all offer port 563 access.

So I followed/adapted the instructions in the first two replies to this question to send all traffic to port 563 via the VPN.

So far, it's working just peachy for me.

Ultimately, I want to route all traffic from a specific machine user account via the VPN and run all my usenet/BitTorrent stuff as that user, but I so far haven't been able to figure out how to run SabNZBd as that user and still access the web interface :(
mbze430

Post by mbze430 »

I know this is old thread, but I am also using OWF's way. routing all traffic from my sabnzbd box's traffic out of the VPN. However using this method, I am unable to access the webui from WAN side. So trying to send NZB or API doesn't work.

anyone has any other suggestions?