Request for SABnzbD.org

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Jere_Tristan

Request for SABnzbD.org

Post by Jere_Tristan »

Please, please, please remove the download count from the front page (remove it from the site altogether)

The Big Few do not care how good "something" is, but rather how popular it is

Please, please, please remove it please

I'm sorry I'm a bit cryptic but hopefully you get the idea
Last edited by Jere_Tristan on January 22nd, 2008, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jere_Tristan

Re: Request for SABnzbD.org

Post by Jere_Tristan »

Sure

1) QOTD
2) a sabnzbd catchy message like "get those bins!"
3) links to get themes etc
4) torrentfreak (they are not just about torrents) news headlines
5) this line: ApolloWP Theme by inpheaux, based on ApolloBB by HVMDesign and Dizzy Technology
6) nothing, make it the same color as the top middle bg, amybe add fine lines to distinguish it more, and make this line white: Version: 0.3.0 Final
7) anything else of your choosing that is harmless
Last edited by Jere_Tristan on January 22nd, 2008, 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

Jere_Tristan wrote:Please, please, please remove it please
Would you like to elaborate as to why I should remove it? I like statistics, especially valid and impressive-looking statistics. Extra-especially valid and impressive-looking statistics that are readily available to me in an easily parse-able format. You're talking like this information is "damaging" somehow.
Jere_Tristan

Post by Jere_Tristan »

I don't know how else to explain it
Jere_Tristan wrote: The Big Few do not care how good "something" is, but rather how popular it is
Every time something good pops up, brash bragging & popularity brought it down. Remember DVD-Shrink?
SAB is a very good app, I do not want this to happen with it.
The amount of downloads is almost directly indicative of the amount of users, hence the popularity of the tool
If people want to find out download stats, let them go digging, do not assist them

Keep it on the down low I say
Last edited by Jere_Tristan on January 22nd, 2008, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

Jere_Tristan wrote:Every time something good pops up, brash bragging & popularity brought it down. Remember DVD-Shrink?
Popularity didn't kill DVDShrink, being illegal did. By circumventing encryption on DVDs, DVDShrink violated the DMCA, which left it open to legal action.

SABnzbd breaks no laws, and thus isn't susceptible to the same issues.
Hulebeoren

Post by Hulebeoren »

I like it - makes the site feel more web 2.0ish :D
huleboeren
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by huleboeren »

There really needs to be a screenshots(official theme I guess) + features page on the official site..
DeXeS
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by DeXeS »

I see what Jere_Tristan means. Over the last years there where allot of programs that everyone got on his or her computer and is now complete gone.

But I don't think sabnzbd+ will be like that since sab isn't an extremely easy to use program (install>start downloading) so the mainstream of the users will not use this program. And since the MPAA only targets the big mainstream programs, this program will probably be save  :D
Appoloin

Post by Appoloin »

inpheaux wrote:
Jere_Tristan wrote:Every time something good pops up, brash bragging & popularity brought it down. Remember DVD-Shrink?
Popularity didn't kill DVDShrink, being illegal did. By circumventing encryption on DVDs, DVDShrink violated the DMCA, which left it open to legal action.

It has been rumored that Nero killed DVDShrink when they employed the developer
nzb_leecher

Post by nzb_leecher »

Appoloin wrote:
inpheaux wrote:

It has been rumored that Nero killed DVDShrink when they employed the developer
yep nero enocding is in fact dvdshrink 2
Delirium

Post by Delirium »

maybe I missed something but I thought they can't sue people who make these apps. I haven't heard of a single bittorrent app that has been pulled offline due to this. My guess is that 'The big few' are far to busy with DRM and bittorrent right now. When focus shifts to the few usenetters (compared to bittorrent I would say there are few) he might have a point. So forget about this for now and we'll discuss it again in 2012  ;)
DeXeS
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by DeXeS »

Delirium, thats true. Not the people behind the applications get sued but the network they are one gets sued and in many cases, the network is owned by the program. but sabnzbd+ is a completely legit program. outlook can also read usenet posts, they don't get sued :P
Delirium

Post by Delirium »

Usenet wasn't made for distrubuting binaries so they can't sue the network :)
But as with bittorrent, there's not much to sue but the individual .torrent websites. So I don't think they stand a chance, not as long as free content is also distributed on the networks, same as with usenet.