download to external harddisk

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Tester

download to external harddisk

Post by Tester »

Hi, I just bought a new router (Belkin Play max) where I can attach my external harddisks. I want to download directly to one of them, but it doesn´t seem to be working.. I have a LaCie 1T harddisk, which was formatted for Mac. To connect it to Belkin, I partitioned it in 2 parts, the FAT part 980G. It seems to work fine to download to it when it comes to small files, but bigger files fail. I have the incomplete folder still on the mac, only completed downloads to the external HD. Anyone know how I can fix this? ???
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: download to external harddisk

Post by sander »

Tester wrote: Hi, I just bought a new router (Belkin Play max) where I can attach my external harddisks. I want to download directly to one of them, but it doesn´t seem to be working.. I have a LaCie 1T harddisk, which was formatted for Mac. To connect it to Belkin, I partitioned it in 2 parts, the FAT part 980G. It seems to work fine to download to it when it comes to small files, but bigger files fail. I have the incomplete folder still on the mac, only completed downloads to the external HD. Anyone know how I can fix this? ???

How big? FAT has a max file size 4GB. So you can't save DVD-ISO-images on a FAT filesystem
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
If someone helps you, please reply to that help.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Tester

Post by Tester »

Yeah, that´s what I though :( It seems correct as well. I can get files smaller than 4G on it, but not bigger. Ok. Then I just have to buy a new external harddisk. Thanx for your answer :)
Vyp3R

Post by Vyp3R »

Tester wrote: Then I just have to buy a new external harddisk.
No just format the drive with NTFS. The Belkin supports FAT16/32 and NTFS so it will work just fine with the latter and you won't have to split it into partitions either, as the Mac should have the "power" to read and write to NTFS as well.
Last edited by Vyp3R on July 1st, 2011, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
heddhunter

Post by heddhunter »

Vyp3R wrote:
Tester wrote: Then I just have to buy a new external harddisk.
No just format the drive with NTFS. The Belkin supports FAT16/32 and NTFS so it will work just fine with the latter and you won't have to split it into partitions either, as the Mac should have the "power" to read and write to NTFS as well.
Mac doesn't write NTFS reliably. There's a reason Snow Leopard defaults all NTFS volumes to read-only. You can enable writing via some command line trickery (editing /etc/fstab) but I don't recommend it. You might be safe as long as the Mac is the only thing reading & writing to the drive, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. If the drive is dedicated to the Mac, you should just format it with HFS+ anyway. Use Disk Utility to "Erase" the drive, and select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".