Database functionality?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
popcornarsonist

Database functionality?

Post by popcornarsonist »

What does everyone think about the potential of database functionality in SABnzbd+? If the history were stored into a database, the data would be much more accessible, and would provide a myriad of uses for outside utilities. For example, I use post proc scripts to store downloaded tv shows into a database, then i use scripts to automatically download new shows, checking for duplicates. Altogether, I think a database system would be a good direction for SABnzbd+ to take. I understand that would require users to install mysql or something, but I think it would at least be a nice option do have.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
switch

Re: Database functionality?

Post by switch »

Sounds like a good idea, would need a decent effort in coding, not sure where it would fit within other planned features.

Storing the history as an sqlite database would be useful. Sqlite would be the way I would go if I was to re-do RSS feeds, and maybe for a few unannounced stuff.

Problem is, it might not be too reliable to use in third part scripts as a "what has been downloaded" list as I know lots of people like to clear out their history pretty regularly. Of course you could make "clear history" just clear the history page and leave the DB alone, but depends on other peoples feelings.

Definitely something to think about and look into though.
rascalli

Post by rascalli »

Sounds like a good option , but than the tools we use together with sabnzbd+ should be changed also I guess , so it reads the database.

I like switch his suggestion :

Of course you could make "clear history" just clear the history page and leave the DB alone, but depends on other peoples feelings.

But I think that you also need an option to clean the DB for when you wnat to clean it up.
Appoloin

Post by Appoloin »

popcornarsonist wrote: I understand that would require users to install mysql or something, but I think it would at least be a nice option do have.

SQLite has a Python interface.

http://www.sqlite.org/
Dan

Post by Dan »

popcornarsonist wrote: What does everyone think about the potential of database functionality in SABnzbd+? If the history were stored into a database, the data would be much more accessible, and would provide a myriad of uses for outside utilities. For example, I use post proc scripts to store downloaded tv shows into a database, then i use scripts to automatically download new shows, checking for duplicates. Altogether, I think a database system would be a good direction for SABnzbd+ to take. I understand that would require users to install mysql or something, but I think it would at least be a nice option do have.

I personally would love this if it could somehow be integrated into the functionality of sabtab to highlight posts in newzbin that have been previously downloaded. It will currently keep posts highlighted that have been downloaded, but only if you don't clear the history queue.
doubledrat
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by doubledrat »

with enough parameters passed to it, couldn't the postproc script write to a database?