Lacking additional features?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
daniel_owen_uk
Release Testers
Release Testers

Lacking additional features?

Post by daniel_owen_uk »

Now before I write this I should let you know I am a huge fan of sabnzbd. Been using sab for many years from back when tidien (if memory serves me right) was developing probably around 2.0 and I see no reason to look for another newsgroup application.

That said;

My server is currently sat using version 6.0 rc2

I have a spare twenty minutes tonight and am thinking of updating, so looked through the change logs from 6.0 to 6.9 rc2 that's 9 versions

In all honesty, bug fixes aside, are there any new features in those 9 versions that would make anyone think that they need to upgrade?

Some features I may be overlooking such as file association, but I use it as a server it's not installed on the machine I browse nzbs on.

Does anyone else feel this way.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lacking additional features?

Post by shypike »

If it works, it works.
Often I remove bugs that have never hindered my own downloading, but did affect others.
There are no "big" features in the 0.6.1+ versions, just bugfixes and convenience items.
New features will come in 0.7.0
daniel_owen_uk
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by daniel_owen_uk »

I did wonder if that was the case, keep up the good work then :-)
scotepi

Post by scotepi »

The version is 0.6.9... notice the leading 0. I don't know how exactly SABnzbd+ is versioning but in a normal projects dev cycle for x.y.z is major ground breaking features are X but that is after 1.0 comes out, minor features but little api changes are made for Y and Z is just bug/security.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

scotepi wrote:The version is 0.6.9... notice the leading 0. I don't know how exactly SABnzbd+ is versioning but in a normal projects dev cycle for x.y.z is major ground breaking features are X but that is after 1.0 comes out, minor features but little api changes are made for Y and Z is just bug/security.
We're more 0.x.y, where x's are our feature releases, and y's are bugfixes. We've been avoiding that leading 1 because it still doesn't feel "finished", or at the very least "one-point-oh-ish".
daniel_owen_uk
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by daniel_owen_uk »

So what's planned for v 7 then any clues on what the visions for sab?

It must be hard to keep it to it's original purpose, where do functions cross the line into stuff that should be done with scripts? Recent additions such as tv sorting could have been classed outside the remit of sab for example. What makes you guys want to include things, is it just how popular the request is?

Would you guys consider some sort of sick beard integration in future? Or is that a step too far.
inpheaux
Administrator
Administrator

Post by inpheaux »

daniel_owen_uk wrote:So what's planned for v 7 then any clues on what the visions for sab?
We don't have a published changelog yet, but you can check through the commit log for the development branch which will be branched for 0.7 soon. Highlight reel so far is an experimental download viability tester (to tell if something is complete before downloading), Python 2.7 for all compiled versions, ability to run on multiple "localhosts" (so like, localhost, 127.0.0.1, ::1, etc will all work simultaneously), and some updates to the Par detection system to check against ALL available files apart from just the ones we know about, which should fix some issues about crappy file naming.
daniel_owen_uk wrote:Recent additions such as tv sorting could have been classed outside the remit of sab for example. What makes you guys want to include things, is it just how popular the request is?
TV Sorting is ancient, landed in 0.4.0B2. It predates Sickbeard. We used to be far more open to including more fringe functionality, but that was prior to having a very robust API and script functionality. Now that we have an awesome API and the ability to run an arbitrary script at basically any point we're focusing more on only core functionality. If it helps performance, helps downloading, or helps reliability, we'll likely do it.
daniel_owen_uk wrote:Would you guys consider some sort of sick beard integration in future? Or is that a step too far.
What more would you really want?
daniel_owen_uk
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by daniel_owen_uk »

Indeed it is old but definitely doesn't predate post processing scripts ;-)

I used it as an example simply because it's more on the fringe of core functionality.

What I meant was would you consider integrating sick beard into sab so that it would be one product? The current integration uses the api but requires two seperate ports etc.

The viability tester sounds excellent.

Can't you run on multiple hosts currently using 0.0.0.0?