Is there any progress on the subject / thread ""Download speed: 0.18 KB/s" becau

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Is there any progress on the subject / thread ""Download speed: 0.18 KB/s" becau

Post by sander »

Is there any progress on the subject / thread ""Download speed: 0.18 KB/s" because of ... missing articles" (see http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=70.0 )?

As a reminder: if the NZB is beyond the retention, SABnzbd shows a download of 0.0x kbps and an ETA far away in the future.
Remain/Total moves very slowly, just as 'slow' as a real download.

Quite confusing if not annoying.

So: how about implementing the Health Indicator to make thing more clear  and/or the HEAD command to improve speed?
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
If someone helps you, please reply to that help.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
switch

Re: Is there any progress on the subject / thread ""Download speed: 0.18 KB/s" becau

Post by switch »

No progress on that individual issue, coding over the summer is going slow for a number of reasons.

I agree that better support for missing files is pretty high priority, the current issues is the result of a bug-fix from 0.2.5 where files were immediately dropped if the first article of the file was missing. The current way will try to download as many articles from a file as it can for best chance of repair. Unfortunately this means a lot of requests for missing articles which can slow download speeds.

Adding the requested health checking is a pretty major undertaking requiring inter-code changes for nzb importing, the queue code and the download code.

Checking whether an article exists can be very time consuming if a lot of articles are missing, some servers take 20 seconds to respond with a "430 No Such Article" meaning if one or more existing connections that were currently downloading articles were instead set to check the existence of files it would interrupt downloading and you would be left with the below 1KB/s speeds again.
Last edited by switch on August 4th, 2008, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Is there any progress on the subject / thread ""Download speed: 0.18 KB/s" becau

Post by sander »

OK, thanks for the explanation.

FYI:
SABnzbd just completed/finished the download, which failed (as expected). It took about one hour, which is the time it takes to download ... 4 GB on my 12 Mbps line. So the speed for a non-existing download is as big as an existing download ;-(
The funny thing is SAB report "Stage Download    [Avg-Speed] 2kB/s  [Time-Taken] 4 minutes 34 seconds"

Ah well. I'lll live with it.

Code: Select all

Hello,

SABnzbd has downloaded 'blabla'.

Finished at 2008-08-04 23:38:19
Downloaded 539.3 KB

Results of the job:

Stage Download
   [Avg-Speed] 2kB/s
   [Time-Taken] 4 minutes 34 seconds
Stage Par2
   [PAR-INFO] blabla"

Enjoy!
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
If someone helps you, please reply to that help.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
switch

Post by switch »

Reading over that post again I remember mentioning the STAT command, forgot to look into that. Looks like it is significantly quicker at checking for the presence of missing articles.

Edit: Still if someone added a lot of nzb files it might take a while to get through, possibly holding up downloading or the adding of the nzb's to the queue depending on how the feature is implemented.
Last edited by switch on August 4th, 2008, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.