Request: option to use standard form for authentication

Questions and bug reports for Beta releases should be posted here.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Taomyn

Request: option to use standard form for authentication

Post by Taomyn »

Hi,

I'm testing out the new beta and the new theme and very much liking what I see, however the new theme has made worse something I've been meaning to request.

Would it be possible for an option to change the prompt for credentials to be a standard web page rather than, in the case of Chrome, the small pop up window.

I have two reasons for the request, firstly it would allow support for using LastPass to be able to enter my credentials, but secondly, and now since the new theme has made it much worse, prevents me having to kill the Chrome tab in Android because the credential prompt loops indefinitely. This only happens if you first log in, don't use Chrome for some hours then come back and reopen Chrome. The site then pops up the request for credentials, but repeats it over and over again until Android kills the process. This wasn't so bad with v0.7.x as it would only do it a few times, but 0.8.x has made it worse.

Cheers,
Taomyn
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Request: option to use standard form for authentication

Post by shypike »

Does it work properly on the older theme, Plush?
I'll check with Glitter's author.

Unfortunately, creating a plain login screen is a lot of work.
(Not so much the screen, but what's behind it.)
Older versions of CherryPy used to support a simple solution
but no more in the last four years.
It's just one of those many time-consuming items on the to-do list.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Glitter's author here:

Unfortuntaly, the browser doesn't return an error to my functions untill you either hit Cancel in the popup or the connection timeout expires.
On mobile browsers, this timeout that is chosen by the browser, is longer then on the desktop (usually like 6 seconds) to account for slow connections.
During that time, Glitter tries to connect every second (default refresh setting) to both history and queue.
I noticed that Chrome on Android shows a new login-box on top of existing ones for every connection attempt. That is why it keeps repeating..

I have now build in a check that will stop trying to refresh as soon as it notices that it has authorization problems.
However: say that the timeout is 6 seconds, and you don't do anything (that happens when Chrome stays active on the background).
It will have fired 6x connection attempts to both queue and history, meaning that there will be 12 login popups created by Chrome that you have to click Cancel on all of them...
In the current situation with this authentication, this is the best I can do...
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

Sorry to bring this up again, but with RC1/RC2/RC3 this has gotten much worse on my Nexus 6 again to the point where I have to kill the browser if I left a tab logged in from the previous evening.

It's like the world's worst game of whack-a-mole.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

There is already a login form in the development versions, replacing the old login way. But unfortunately didn't make it into the release yet.. Hopefully next version will come soon!
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

safihre wrote:There is already a login form in the development versions, replacing the old login way. But unfortunately didn't make it into the release yet.. Hopefully next version will come soon!
Great news, thanks. I look forward to it appearing.