[2.0.0 RC 1] 64bit upgrade from 32bit

Questions and bug reports for Beta releases should be posted here.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Taomyn

Re: [2.0.0 RC 1] 64bit upgrade from 32bit

Post by Taomyn »

Oh, another thing regarding the email templates - by using just "email" as the folder now I get a notification in each language instead of just English. So I have copied the English ones to "email\user", changed the setting and now I receive just the one.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

I took a look at the emailing code and it hasn't really changed since 2013.
What I understand there is just 1 template folder, where indeed all templates should be and where you can modify them.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

safihre wrote:I took a look at the emailing code and it hasn't really changed since 2013.
What I understand there is just 1 template folder, where indeed all templates should be and where you can modify them.
Not according to the Wiki:
Standard template

WARNING: do not modify the standard templates, but make a copy in your own template folder.If you modify the standard templates, they will be lost when uninstalling or when upgrading to a new SABnzbd release.
This is what the setting is for, to specify where SABnzbd can find user created templates, not the system ones.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

The code does the following: if a email-dir is defined, it will search there for the template for the specific message.
It doesn't go and check the default folder if it can't find it in the email-dir, and it has been that way since it was introduced: https://github.com/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/blam ... er.py#L172

So what the Wiki tries to say (although not very clear), is that you should make a copy of the *whole* templates directory and then point the email-dir setting there.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

safihre wrote:The code does the following: if a email-dir is defined, it will search there for the template for the specific message.
It doesn't go and check the default folder if it can't find it in the email-dir, and it has been that way since it was introduced: https://github.com/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/blam ... er.py#L172

So what the Wiki tries to say (although not very clear), is that you should make a copy of the *whole* templates directory and then point the email-dir setting there.
Ok, fair enough and I agree it's not very clear but also in the GUI but that's not a big deal I suppose.

Any idea why when I point it back to the original folder, just "email" I get dozens of alerts for a single task, one message in each language? I was surprised that my Google account didn't start marking it as spam when 2 releases finished and I got over 20 emails.
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

I just upgraded from RC-1 to RC-2, and found myself with a default INI file again - recovering the file from my archive resolves the problem.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

I will make sure to check the default ini creation process again.
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

Also, it removed the content of my email/users folder so my notification templates could not be found. The folder was still there but the three English templates I copied there were gone.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

The installer only copies to the install dir and possibly the settings dir, cannot go outside that.
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

safihre wrote:The installer only copies to the install dir and possibly the settings dir, cannot go outside that.
The "email/user" folder is within the install dir, and I only made the copies and pointed SABnzbd to it because every notification I was receiving came to me in every single language, not just English. I will set it back later and see if you fixed this for RC-2, but I haven't had time yet.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Didn't change anything.
For the notifications you need to copy the whole templates dir with all the languages and only modify yours. Otherwise it will send all languages as a (strange!) fallback.
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

safihre wrote:Didn't change anything.
For the notifications you need to copy the whole templates dir with all the languages and only modify yours. Otherwise it will send all languages as a (strange!) fallback.
Ok I will give that a go, but can you stop the installer deleting the content of the sub-folder? It never did this at all prior to v2 and it makes sense to keep all SABnzbd files in one place.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Well, these are SAB's program files. That's why we also store settings/database/etc in a different directory.

It will delete the whole of the installation directory (maybe that's also why your INI is being removed?) just to make sure no traces are left of older versions.
Because files change over time we really want to make sure everything is gone, because some files from pre-1.x.x have caused problems before. Older compiled python stuff or templates, etc.
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

safihre wrote:Well, these are SAB's program files. That's why we also store settings/database/etc in a different directory.

It will delete the whole of the installation directory (maybe that's also why your INI is being removed?) just to make sure no traces are left of older versions.
Because files change over time we really want to make sure everything is gone, because some files from pre-1.x.x have caused problems before. Older compiled python stuff or templates, etc.
Why are you deleting the INI file on an upgrade? That makes no sense or are you dropping the use of the INI in v2? I appreciate the need to remove traces of the previous version files, I really do, but not the configuration files otherwise how is that an upgrade.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

We delete everything in the Program folder, so if you place the INI file there then it also gets deleted.
That folder is meant only for the program, not for any settings. This is how every other program operates.. User-data is stored in %localappdata%, never with the program.

On Windows a program doesn't even have access to write to it's own directory in the "Program Files (x86)" directory without admin access, exactly because of this.