Lower speed with 3.2.0 Beta 1

Questions and bug reports for Beta releases should be posted here.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Scoty

Lower speed with 3.2.0 Beta 1

Post by Scoty »

With the new Beta i get a lower speed with the same setting witch i use with latest stable. With a fresh profile i get also the same lower speed. I have testet with Eweka and Newshosting always with 25 connections. Whene i set 50 connectios with the Beta i get also full speed. With the Beta i need now much more connections for the same speed.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Lower speed with 3.2.0 Beta 1

Post by sander »

Interesting. Can you give the download speed, preferrably for the 1GB and/or 10GB reference downloads?

So:
25 connections => speed X MB/s
50 connections => speed Y MB/s

FWIW: my results with Beta1:
1GB: 20 connections frugal, 8 connections eweka => 45 MB/s (which is my linespeed)
Scoty

Post by Scoty »

Which reference download?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Scoty wrote: January 7th, 2021, 6:37 am Which reference download?
In SABnzbd's upper right corner, click on the wrench symbol ("Status and interface options"), then click on first tab Status, and there click on "Test download" 1GB or 10GB.
Scoty

Post by Scoty »

Have test with 1GB (10GB the same) on Beta 1

25 connections => speed 24.2 MB/s
50 connections => speed 58.7 MB/s

With latest Stable:

25 and 50 connections => speed 59.1 MB/s
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

In Config, Specials, can you lower downloader_sleep_time to 1?
And then restart and try again?
Or even set it to 0.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Scoty

Post by Scoty »

Standard is 10 and i have test with 1 and 5:

25 connections => speed 24.2 MB/s
Last edited by Scoty on January 8th, 2021, 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Could you check what happens if you set it to 5?
This is still new code for us so thanks for reporting and hope you can help us find the right balance!
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Scoty

Post by Scoty »

Sorry my settings befor are wrong. I have forget set back from 50 connections to 25. I have corrected it above.

Now with 1 or 5 the speed is also slow. With 0 i get with 25 connections full speed.
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

That's unfortunate, but thanks for testing. This is kind of my fault. Which hardware plaform and operating system version are you using? Do you run it from source or a binary installation? Do you have or can you create an account at https://github.com? If so I can try to adjust the new code and a new binary you can download will be created.

safihre: Maybe try to increase the idle_count threshold so that it doesn't kick in as quickly? Alternatively, try to calculate it from the bps, for instance sabnzbd.BPSMeter.bps/10 000 000 (or maybe /5 000 000), so that it gets higher with higher bandwidth. On Windows and maybe some other OSes there is no difference if the downloader_sleep_time is set to 10 or 1 because the timer resolution is too low. From my tests I didn't expect it to be this limiting, but maybe other factors like round trip delay matters as well.
Scoty

Post by Scoty »

I use latest Windows 10 Pro and use the Windows Standalone (64bit) from Sabnzbd. I have a Account on Github.
zoggy
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by zoggy »

I also found 3.2.0b1 to be slower, setting downloader_sleep_time to 0 helped a little bit but still not getting the 100M+ speeds I used to. Struggling around 60M.

This is on Win10 Pro using sab x64 binaries
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

I have made a change which may help. To try it, go to https://github.com/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/pull/1745, click the green V next to the commit hash (9babe8c), then click Details at "Build binaries and source...", then Artifacts and select Windows Installer to try it. You need to be logged in.

This is the change compared to the official branch: https://github.com/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/pull/1745/files

I'm not sure why it doesn't help to set the downloader_sleep_time to 0. Maybe it makes SAB spend too much time in the download loop instead of too little.
Scoty

Post by Scoty »

Which green V??
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

Sorry, it was the best description I could come up with. It's not an actual V, but the V-like symbol which shows that the tests were ok at the end of the commit line ("Try sleeping less often at higher speeds"). Not the header but the one below the empty description. Search for 9babe8c.

It's possible that this direct link works, but I'm not sure if the Artifacts dropdown will be there: https://github.com/sabnzbd/sabnzbd/runs/1669849965