FYI: SSL on Ubuntu with 'sudo apt-get install python-pyopenssl'

Questions and bug reports for Beta releases should be posted here.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

FYI: SSL on Ubuntu with 'sudo apt-get install python-pyopenssl'

Post by sander »

FYI: Installing pyOpenSSL on Ubuntu to enable SSL is easy: just a 'sudo apt-get install python-pyopenssl' and a restart of SABnzbd will do.

*Using* SSL: I have not been able to test that; xlned should support it on port 563, but I can't get a connection.

Quote from Beta announcement: "Linux and SSL. For linux users who are wanting to use SSL, you will require any version of pyopenssl greater than 0.6. "

Code: Select all

sander@ubuntu804:~$ sudo apt-get install python-pyopenssl
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  python-openssl
Suggested packages:
  python-openssl-dbg python-openssl-doc
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  python-openssl python-pyopenssl
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 94.7kB of archives.
After this operation, 434kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Get:1 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main python-openssl 0.6-5 [86.7kB]
Get:2 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main python-pyopenssl 0.6-5 [8006B]
Fetched 94.7kB in 0s (154kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package python-openssl.
(Reading database ... 169884 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking python-openssl (from .../python-openssl_0.6-5_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package python-pyopenssl.
Unpacking python-pyopenssl (from .../python-pyopenssl_0.6-5_all.deb) ...
Setting up python-openssl (0.6-5) ...

Setting up python-pyopenssl (0.6-5) ...
sander@ubuntu804:~$ 
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
If someone helps you, please reply to that help.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: FYI: SSL on Ubuntu with 'sudo apt-get install python-pyopenssl'

Post by sander »

It looks like the SSL of my provider XLned is not working at this time, so I can't test SABnzbd's SSL against that.

However, Giganews does provide SSL, so I tested that with news.giganews.com and port 563. As I haven't got a Giganews account, I just filled out a dummy account. The result is good: "502 Invalid username or password", proving there is communication over SSL between SABnzbd and Giganews. ;-)

So it looks like SSL is working OK.

2008-04-08 21:39:46,996 ERROR [downloader] Connecting [email protected]:563 failed Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/sander/SABnzbd-0.4.0Beta2/sabnzbd/downloader.py", line 356, in run nw.finish_connect() File "/home/sander/SABnzbd-0.4.0Beta2/sabnzbd/newswrapper.py", line 173, in finish_connect raise NNTPPermanentError(self.lines[0]) NNTPPermanentError: [b]502 Invalid username or password[/b]
2008-04-08 21:39:46,996 WARNING [downloader] Thread [email protected]:563: connecting failed
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: FYI: SSL on Ubuntu with 'sudo apt-get install python-pyopenssl'

Post by sander »

The friendly people of www.yabnews.nl provide a free test account for three days, including SSL. Using the free account, SABnzbd is able to connect and retrieve data:

sander@ubuntu804:~/SABnzbd-0.4.0Beta2/logs$ grep yabnews sabnzbd.log
2008-04-08 22:25:57,304::INFO::[downloader] [email protected]:563: Initiating connection
2008-04-08 22:25:57,520::INFO::[downloader] Connecting [email protected]:563 finished
2008-04-08 22:25:57,520::INFO::[downloader] Thread [email protected]:563: fetching [email protected]
2008-04-08 22:25:59,302::INFO::[downloader] Thread [email protected]:563: [email protected] done
2008-04-08 22:25:59,302::INFO::[downloader] Thread [email protected]:563: fetching [email protected]
2008-04-08 22:26:00,661::INFO::[downloader] Thread [email protected]:563: [email protected] done
So: SABnzbd's SSL on Ubuntu works. Great.