Problem after update, can't acces sabnzbd anymore

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Problem after update, can't acces sabnzbd anymore

Post by sander »

Badmuts wrote:The problem is that it then won't run as a service
Have you tried? Make sure SAB is not running more for three minutes, start it as a service, and then type:

Code: Select all

tail -f ~/.sabnzbd/logs/sabnzbd.log
But also see my other posts ...
Jim

Post by Jim »

i'm getting the same error on a freshly installed ubuntu 12.04 when i try to start sab as service.

sudo service sabnzbdplus start
 * Starting SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber                                         
** (sabnzbdplus:3010): WARNING **: Command line `dbus-launch --autolaunch=c6efef1aac6c037ed42da78800000002 --binary-syntax --close-stderr' exited with non-zero exit status 1: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.\n
sab is happily running in the background, though.
i'm running sab as normal user, not as root.
could that be the problem?

is there even a problem? :)
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

I suspect something triggers this dbus-launch thing when the sabnzbdplus service is started (no clue how/what though), only to find it cannot access/start an X11 session. I cannot reproduce it, but a quick google search suggests the error message can be triggered by a number of seemingly random applications. Do you use a graphical interface? And if so, is the user running the sab service different from the one logged into the X session?

You could try running 'xhost +' before starting the service, to see if that makes any difference. Or maybe certain environment vars (such as DISPLAY or XAUTHORITY) are missing when the daemon is started through init (like in this topic).
Jim

Post by Jim »

jcfp wrote:Do you use a graphical interface? And if so, is the user running the sab service different from the one logged into the X session?
yup, i'm running ubuntu desktop x64 and sab is running as the user that's logged in.
i've tried running as root but the error message doesn't go away or change.
You could try running 'xhost +' before starting the service, to see if that makes any difference.
nope, it didn't.

usah@dom0:~/.sabnzbd/logs$ sudo service sabnzbdplus stop
[sudo] password for usah: 
 * Stopping SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber                                                                                       [ OK ] 
usah@dom0:~/.sabnzbd/logs$ xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
usah@dom0:~/.sabnzbd/logs$ sudo service sabnzbdplus start
 * Starting SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber                                                                                              
** (sabnzbdplus:2921): WARNING **: Command line `dbus-launch --autolaunch=c6efef1aac6c037ed42da78800000002 --binary-syntax --close-stderr' exited with non-zero exit status 1: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.\n
                                                                                                                              [ OK ]
oh well, sab runs despite of the error so i guess it's not really a big deal.
hopefully somebody will figure this out because i don't like errors im my logs ;)