RaspPi 3 + Raspbian (Jessie) + SABnzbd1.0.3

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
buxjr

RaspPi 3 + Raspbian (Jessie) + SABnzbd1.0.3

Post by buxjr »

I am running a Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspbian Jessie. I have installed SABnzbd (0.7.18) from the stable/Jessie repo and all is functioning perfectly. Now, I want to update SABnzbd to v1.0.3 so I can enjoy all the bug fixes and the wonderful bootstrap-ified theme, "Glitter". Sadly, I simply cannot get it to run. I know it is possible but am clearly missing a step somewhere. Can anyone provide a "sure-fire" update/upgrade procedure so I can get current?

What I've tried:

Pulled down the source for 1.0.3 from sourceforge and unpacked it. Tried swapping out the versions in the /usr/share folder and restarting the service (sudo service sabnzbdplus stop/start). It gives me an error:

Code: Select all

Job for sabnzbdplus.service failed. See 'systemctl status sabnzbdplus.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
I then perform, "systemctl status sabnzbdplus.service" and it returns:

sabnzbdplus.service - LSB: SABnzbd+ binary newsgrabber
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/sabnzbplus)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since [date here]
Process: 4008 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/sabnzbdplus stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 4197 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/sabnzbdplus start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
...then, 'journalctl -xn' returns:

No journal files were found.
Grrr...

Obviously, swapping back the sabnzbdplus folder (v0.7.18) restores full functionality. So, clearly there is something in the /etc/init.d/sabnzbdplus script that doesn't play well with the newer v1.0.3.

Not sure if this is the best/only approach to get the latest version of sabnzbd on this machine. Sure wish I could simply "apt-get install" v1.0.3. I understand that v1.0.2 is in "testing/stretch" source and that v1.0.3 is in the "unstable/sid" source. I did try to setup my sources to allow installing it from "testing/stretch", but when I went to install it that way, the list of packages to upgraded/installed was SO extensive, that I shied away from it -- I didn't want to drift too far away from stable/Jessie.

Sorry to be such a NOOB, but I'm kinda frustrated at this point. I'm sure others have this same question as well. Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated. Don't know what this is such a stickler. Thanks in advance.
buxjr

Re: RaspPi 3 + Raspbian (Jessie) + SABnzbd1.0.3

Post by buxjr »

Ok, I think I'm making some progress. I was previously hung-up on trying to get the service configured, but hadn't actually tried simply running v1.0.3 directly.

When, at the command line, I execute "sabnzbdplus --server 0.0.0.0", I get the error:

Sorry, requires Python module Cherrypy 3.2 (use the included version)
I'm pretty sure this was the issue all along. Anyone know how to tell sabnzbd to "use the included version"? I see a cherrypy folder in the sabnzbdplus directory in /usr/share/.

Any help is appreciated.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

buxjr

Post by buxjr »

Hey Sander -- thanks for getting back to me. Believe me, I've tried. I just blew it all out again, and tried the steps on the link you provided. I still get version 0.7.18. What am I missing here?

My /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi
# Uncomment line below then 'apt-get update' to enable 'apt-get source'
deb-src http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jcfp/ppa/ubuntu trusty main
Thoughts?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Correction: Raspbian so Debian (not Ubuntu), so https://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9844

@buxjr: How about this:

sudo apt-get remove sabnzbdplus
sudo apt-get purge sabnzbdplus
Check that sabnzbd / sabnzbdplus is gone
then

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install sabnzbdplus
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
buxjr

Post by buxjr »

Hey Sander -- thanks again. I followed all of these steps. Still get a fresh copy of v0.7.18 installed. It certainly works, but it is NOT v1.0.3.
buxjr

Post by buxjr »

I can get a legit copy of v1.0.3 onto my system (manually), I just have no idea how to tell it to use the included Cherrypy. Do you? It "wants" to run, but stops immediately on the, "Sorry, requires Python module Cherrypy 3.2 (use the included version)" error.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

buxjr wrote:Hey Sander -- thanks again. I followed all of these steps. Still get a fresh copy of v0.7.18 installed.
So the apt-get remove/purge does not remove sabnzbd? If so, I would say your package management is now broken. Possibly caused by "Tried swapping out the versions in the /usr/share folder ".

I would do a fresh install of Raspbian, and then activate the PPA, then install sabnzbdplus.
buxjr

Post by buxjr »

Oh, no. I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. The remove/purge does work! I made sure that it was completely gone! It was. The problem is, apt-get install sabnzbdplus, simply puts a new copy of v0.7.18 back on my system. It's as though it doesn't want to use what's on the PPA, versus what's in the Raspbian repo. Make sense? How do I tell it to "favor" the PPA over the stable 0.7.18?

What I was trying to say was, I can GET it on my system, from source. I just can't get it to RUN. That damn Cherrypy error is a stumper.
buxjr

Post by buxjr »

Sander -- thanks for rattling my memory. You were right, there certainly was something "broken" with my package management! I had (in one of my many failed attempts) added a preferences file to my /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ folder, that was specifically instructing apt-get to use "jessie". Duh! I removed that file, did a remove/purge > update/upgrade/dist-upgrade > install sabnzbdplus and VOILA! v1.1.0Beta1 [6f65d47] installed and running!

Thanks for the assist!

happy.camper(me) = true