Firefox opens wrongly with "localhost:8080/sabnzbd"

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
jackvrouwes

Firefox opens wrongly with "localhost:8080/sabnzbd"

Post by jackvrouwes »

Firefox opens always with the same (wrong) "localhost:8080/sabnzbd" opening page if I open it by clicking on an URL in say Thunderbird Mail or other program. Each time It is misdirected from the URL I want. However, opening FF directly results in a display of the Google startup page according to the default profile. This is as expected and OK. Links from FF itself also work OK.

Properties of file /usr/share/applications/"Firefox Web Browser" shows a command: firefox %u. (note lower case) Somewhere in file /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop there is also a line : firefox %u

Again, any links from TB will not show up in FF if it is my default browser. Instead, always the same unwanted "localhost:8080/sabnzbd" opening page, instead of the wanted link, is then displayed. It seems like a false link is "stuck" somewhere. A respondent in the launchpad/Ubuntu forum suggested that my problem seems to be caused by the SABnzbd rews reader I have installed previously. The problem manifested itself after upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04LTS Where could it be? And, how could I get rid of it?

Note: the very same links from Thunderbird open up correctly in Chromium if I change to that browser as the default.
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Firefox opens wrongly with "localhost:8080/sabnzbd"

Post by jcfp »

I can't think of anything that would cause sab to interfere with browsers in this way. The only time it would even attempt to open its own web interface is when you start sabnzbd while the program is already running and it detects the other instance.
jackvrouwes

Post by jackvrouwes »

jcfp, it seems you are on to something. It could well be that an instance of sabnzbd is opened each time I start either Firefox or the computer itself. I realize this is more an Ubuntu than a sabnzbd issue. Just the same, can you think of how to check that?
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

The following command will list sab if it's running, and return nothing otherwise.

Code: Select all

/bin/ps up $(pgrep nzbd) 2>/dev/null
Just make sure the program is not running, then reproduce your issue with firefox and see if that somehow caused a new instance of sab to be started.
jackvrouwes

Post by jackvrouwes »

Thanks for your response. I did the following per your suggestion:
jack@grumpy:~$ /bin/ps up $(pgrep nzbd) 2>/dev/null
USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
jack 1777 0.4 1.7 2711672 146792 ? Sl 16:20 0:05 /usr/bin/python -OO /
jack@grumpy:~$ kill 1777
jack@grumpy:~$ /bin/ps up $(pgrep nzbd) 2>/dev/null
jack@grumpy:~$
Then i tested the above with a link from Thunderbird. Firefox opened with:
Unable to connect
Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:8080.

I am totally stumped! What should I do?
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

That means your issue isn't that sab gets started somehow but rather firefox just tries to open its web interface. Probably a firefox config issue or some kind of saved session, but certainly nothing to do with sab. Try with a fresh ff profile or so.